1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protection Plan added without my consent

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by 996911, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Oct 7, 2010 #1 of 23

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    So I get in the mail a letter telling me "congratulations on joining our support group. welcome to the directv protection plan"

What in the world is going on? I didn't authorize this. So I log into my online account and sure enough on my newest statement it says protection plan to start in 30 days.

I emailed D* to tell them I did not authorize this and to remove it immediately. I got a response back very quickly apologizing for this and that it has been removed.

Seriously, what is going at D*'s billing department???

2. Oct 7, 2010 #2 of 23
    matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    They want that $72 a year. I would bet the majority of people don't use it that have it, and a large majority of them don't even know they have it in the first place.

3. Oct 7, 2010 #3 of 23

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    I'm guessing that while it's not very ethical to do that to the customers, it isn't against the law? I assume that if a customer pays the bill they enter into a binding agreement there never consented to in the first place? Really chaps my ass how that take advantage of their customers.

4. Oct 7, 2010 #4 of 23
    matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    They love stuff like that. Just like how they slip owned equipment on as leased unless you watch them close.

5. Oct 7, 2010 #5 of 23
    markfp

markfp Legend

Mar 9, 2010
    Whether it was added by mistake or not, DirecTV removed it so no harm was done. Just goes to show why people should check their monthly statements every month and I don''t just mean DirecTV, I mean all of them. I'm always amazed at how many don't check statements or even their bank account until they "suddenly" notice a charge that they've actually been paying for two years, but never noticed. It's a lot easier to get something corrected the first time it shows up.

6. Oct 8, 2010 #6 of 23
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Make sure you check to see they don't charge you to turn it off.

The PP was added to my account on 7/31 without my authorization. When I called to report this, the CSR confirmed it had been added without my authorization and he was canceling it...but there was a $10.00 early termination fee that he couldn't waive.

We went round and round over me being charged to turn off a service i never ordered. I asked to speak to his super, but he said he was it. I was about to have him transfer me to retention when the CSR suggested that since he couldn't waive the early termination fee, he would give me a $10 credit. That worked for me so after a total of 20 minutes on the phone, I had the problem solved.

So check your bill for that early termination fee.

7. Oct 8, 2010 #7 of 23
    cariera

cariera Icon

Oct 27, 2006
    Did you recently accept a free service call? The trade-off for a free service call in many cases is adding the protection plan.

I really doubt that a CSR randomly added this to your account without some contact or discussion from you. :)

8. Oct 8, 2010 #8 of 23

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    Agree 100%. I check all of my statements for every type of account when they are available for errors. I also check my CC daily online to see what charges are hitting the account. Over the last year I have found 3 instances where a waiter gave him/herself a larger tip that I left. And I routinely leave 20-25%!

I will check that. I did read the flyer that came in the mail and it says there is no cancellation fee if done in the first 30 days of having the PP. After that there is a $10 fee if you cancel from month 2 through 12.

Nope. But I did have a MRV install done recently. However, that is an install I paid for.....in more ways than one :mad:

9. Oct 8, 2010 #9 of 23
    billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Geez, it shouldn't take 20 minutes on the phone to resolve a problem that was DirecTV's fault in the first place. I've had pretty good luck with CSR's but sometimes they just don't get it -- at least for 19 minutes...

10. argonaut

argonaut AllStar

Dec 16, 2006
    Not to pile on here, only to help people in the future, you can do this through the D* website as well.

Login, go to Account Overview, then My Extras, and finally Protection Plan.

Click on word Remove.

[​IMG]

Click Remove again
    [​IMG]

Check your confirmation email.
    [​IMG]

11. johns70

johns70 Legend

May 2, 2010
    It takes a lot more than that to chap any part of my body.....

12. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    So, a business billing you for services without your consent is not a big deal to you? What is your $$$ threshold before you find it unethical enough for you to contact the business and let them know you don't appreciate it???

13. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    The chance of reaching anyone who would really care what you think is pretty small, so my threshold is pretty large.

14. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    I don't care about reaching somebody that cares. I'm talking about at what point do care that you are being charged for something you didn't authorize?

15. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Why do you care what he cares? Your complaining to the wrong people. I would call and complain to the source; Directv.

16. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Oh, I took your "contact the business and let them know you don't appreciate it" part literally.

As far as having it taken off, I would do that immediately if I didn't want it, I'm with you on that.:)

17. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    Yeah, that CSR that I would get on the phone would really care.

Do some of y'all just feel good being so darn condescending to others on this board? I see it thread after thread after thread.

Simple thread I started here. Made an informative post that I was being charged for something I did not authorize. I emailed them (took less than 1 min) and then got a response back apologizing for it. Case closed. The thread went on to ask if this is customary for D* to do this without customers consent. Yet the same handful of y'all come in with the typical "it would take more than that to chap my butt" and "why do you care" and "this is no big deal, just tell them to take it off". Seriously? That is how y'all like to participate in threads?

18. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    It was literal. I was asking what the $$$ threshold was to call a business and tell them you don't appreciate it. Very simple since the original statement you made said that since nobody would really give a darn about you complaining that your threshold was high. Just curious what it takes to have you take it to somebody that does.

19. Malibu13

Malibu13 Lifetime Achiever

Sep 12, 2004
    N.E North...
    All points and opinions taken :) now let's simmer it down somewhat ;)

20. E91

E91 Godfather

Oct 7, 2008
    In my case, I had a "free" service call to fix a problem related to my install (which had just happened a week earlier). Immediately afterward, I got that little "welcome to the protection plan" note in the mail.

What irked me about it is that I have only been with D* for a few weeks. There is a brief warranty for the install so the PP is fairly useless to me at this point.