1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protection Plan Cancellation Charge??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by acostapimps, Feb 27, 2013.

1. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    I cancelled PP this month which should be exactly 1 year with the plan since the last time they add it when I added receivers, Which was in the same month last year on the 5th and I cancelled exactly on the 5th this year, So why am I being charged $6 bucks cancellation fee? Even though they gave me partial month credit for this months bill plus I did called and credit back the $6 dollars, It shouldn't be there in the first place. I never used the plan btw.

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    What is your question?

3. acostapimps

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Yes I said they credit back the cancellation fee but it shouldn't been charged in the first place, since I cancelled exactly a year( Feb 5 2012-13)
    Unless they don't count the 30 day trial.

4. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    OK, so again, what's your question?

5. acostapimps

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Maybe I didn't make myself clear but simply saying why charge $6 if I kept the PP for 1 year at least that is the requirement for keeping the plan or they charge cancel fee, It's been resolved through credit but just simply asking that simple question.

6. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Mistake that they corrected?
    Computers were taken over by terrorists?
    They're out to get you?

Probably one of those three.

7. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    There is no "trial" it just a 30 day no claim period because it doesnt start for 30 days.

8. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    So does the 12-month requirement start when it's first added to an acct, or after the 30 days?

9. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    It does not start for 30 days when billing starts and thats when the 12 month requirement starts.

10. acostapimps

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Yes finally that's what the answer I was looking for thanks. So you're saying that in the first billing cycle that's when the 12 months start? Or after the 30 days?
    Since the fine print is confusing and some states are different (Illinois in this case).

11. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    The Protection Plan coverage begins 30 days after adding it, so you can cancel it with no penalty 13 months after the day you added it, which is 12 months after the day it starts charging to your account.

12. acostapimps

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Ahh okay, well I figured that was the case, I thought it begins coverage as soon as you add it. Well I guess their were right in charging me cancellation fee but they credit it back anyway so...

13. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    if I recall right it used to be that way but there where to many people that added, had the onsite service call done then called in and canceled

14. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    It may be that Directv properly charged you in this case, but if they did make a mistake, rest assured that their lackeys here will defend them regardless.

15. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    DISH has their fair share of lackeys too. However, when it comes to cable you'll find that lackeys come few and far between. As for me , I've been a DirecTV customer for 18 years. Has it been a perfect relationship? No. But I can honestly say that the few issues that arose with my account were always resolved to my satisfaction. That's one of the reasons why I've been a long term DirecTV customer.

16. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    Same here, have been with them for years, have had ups and downs with them and some issues that have not been resolved to what I wanted but hey they are a business an not a charity.

Have multiple other providers avaiable to me, but have always been treated fairly by Directv, guess that makes me a lackey according to studechips.

17. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    Be lucky it was only $6, we added it when we started with a new comitment in 2011.. i canceled it last month after becoming commitment free and was charged $10. I figured it was probably not worth the hassle and said "Eh,whatever"

18. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I was thinking they did. I have never cancelled it though. Had it since 2008 and used it a few times. Since I have 15 tuners in the house and owned equipment, I will be keeping the Protection Plan.

19. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    It's going to be worth having soon. The Texas protection plan free upgrade offers is about to hit the rest of the country. The first notices for areas being impacted with the free offers will start March 16.

20. Brubear

Brubear Legend

Nov 13, 2008
    I have Protection Plan Premier and found it to be absolutely worth it. The extended coverage has paid for itself.