Protection Plan Coverage

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mini1, Jun 19, 2014.

1. mini1

mini1 Icon

Jan 25, 2004
    Hello all,

Will the normal protection plan cover replacing a slimline dish and/or mount because of rust? My mount is rusting up against the outside of my house.

Thanks

2. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yes, but when you call DO NOT go into specifics, just tell the CSR you are getting 771 and that you need a truck roll.

3. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    So Lie?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Do you know of a better way approach DIRECTV to get what you believe your entitled to?

1 person likes this.
  5. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    One more personal comment and that member will be thread banned.

Discuss the topic and not each other. This thread will not be hijacked.

Mike

6. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    No need to lie, a rusted dish will eventually give out and requires a replacement and most likely the TS is experiencing signal issues. This is very common on Fire Island in NY state. the reason to avoid the specifics is because some CSRs will try to turn this around as a dish upgrade or dish relocate. CSRs are rated on service calls and as such they dont like to give them out if they can be avoided. a dish upgrade may be a chargeable item to the customer, thus keep it simple

7. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    I don't understand why Customer can't just call directv and say, hey my dish is really rusted out , can you please send someone out to replace it.
    Instead of I'm getting a 771 one on the screen, when your really not.

I'm sorry but if that's what's acceptable around DBSTALK now, telling customers to make up bogus service calls, then I feel sorry for all of us members here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

8. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Claiming that something unmistakeable happened when it didn't (or hasn't yet) is a whopper. That DIRECTV can monitor most land line or Internet connected devices makes this dangerous.

Signal issues are by no means a certain (or even likely) result of surface rust on the mounting foot.

9. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    When you dont know about something is better not to say anything at all.

I dont know how rusted the TS dish is, but when the rust in on the dish like the ones I have seen on Fire Island, they do create 771.

10. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    I think directv would swap out the dish if it really rusty.
    I really don't believe you would have to concoct a story.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

11. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    but that is not the question here...

12. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    You can if you speak to the right department [*cough* CRG *cough*] on the phone, who can and will setup service calls quickly without you having to go into a long conversation and a lot of unnecessary troubleshooting about what is going on. Especially if you already know prior to calling that you're going to need a service call for the issue.

13. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The TS was specific that they had problems with rust on the mount.

Interpreting that as a substantially compromised antenna to solve a rust stain problem is an enormous leap.

14. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    and interpreting how much or how little rust there is, is another giant leap as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    So the correct answer to the OP's question is:

The protection plan does not cover a dish mount that is causing an esthetic problem like rust stains on the house where the foot is mounted. However, if you call up and pretend that the rusted mount has caused signal problems and they send a technician to your house, you may be able to convince him to replace the dish. A little "folding persuasion" will likely be involved.

2 people like this.
  16. MizzouTiger

MizzouTiger Icon

Jan 9, 2007
    I had a rusty dish and when I called DirecTv, They asked if I lived in a high moisture area or near the coast. I told them no, I lived in the St. Louis, MO area. I was told the best they could do was replace it for $50. I told them no thanks. I then e-mailed them (can't remember which specific department) and told them I didn't think I should have to pay to get the rusty dish replaced since I have the protection plan and that I didn't think it was very good advertising for DirecTv that their equipment would look so bad on the roof of my house. I then received a telephone call and was told they would replace it for no charge.

17. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    and this is exactly why you avoid specifics.... getting the dish replaced at no charge is the right thing to do... whether DirecTV likes it or not, specially if one holds the PP

18. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Why not? They lie to us all the time. I detest doing that, but what are you gonna do?

Rich

19. mirak

mirak New Member

Jun 19, 2012
    The sales people told me that the protection plan is not needed for weather damage - wind, hail, lightening strike, etc. I even asked about power surge, and they said that that is covered by normal warranty. They said the only thing I would need protection plan for is to cover damage due to negligence. Is that not correct?

20. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    that is incorrect. all the equipment installed with the exception of the receivers become your poverty and as such is your responsibility to "maintain" them. So you pay out pocket to have something fix. receivers are replaced free of charge, but you pay for S&H. PP covers that