Protection Plan Premier?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by paulman182, Oct 17, 2018.

1. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Hi all. I have the standard protection plan and am considering upgrading to the premier plan.
    I have no homeowners or any other insurance on 5 TVs, a desktop computer, two tablets, and three laptops. It sounds like not a bad deal to cover all that.

Anyone had experience with the premier protection plan.

And, are smartphones covered?

Thanks!

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I use the Premier Plan. The mother board died on my Sony HDTV a few of years ago. They replaced it with a top of the line Sony 4K HDTV.

paulman182 likes this.
  3. Legacy

Legacy New Member

Nov 10, 2011

I have the Premier Plan. A couple of years ago a TV went bad on me. They couldn't fix it so they replaced it with a comparable TV -- good experience.

Just recently the touch screen on my laptop cracked. The repair was a simple screen replacement. Before sending it in I talked to their repair technician and based on their recommendation I made a system image and established a separate account so the repair person could log on and check the repair. I included the repair account name/password in the paperwork sent in with the laptop. Nonetheless the repair person reinstalled Windows on my laptop, which wasn’t necessary. Since the newly installed Windows had a different serial number than what the laptop originally had, I was not able to reinstall the system image. I called Direct TV and spent almost 3 hours on the phone talking to various people trying to find out if there was a workaround so I could use the system image. No one could help and in fact told me to call Microsoft for help. When I contacted Microsoft they wanted to charge me for technical support. In addition to the above, the repair form returned with my laptop indicated it was repaired within 3 day of receiving it. That was inaccurate. Someone is apparently entering inaccurate info so it looks like the laptop was repaired in a timely manner, when in fact the repair took over 2 weeks. Bottom line is I spent over 12 hours reinstalling programs that were previously on the laptop and system image, plus I lost some personal files that only existed on the system image that couldn’t be used. I will never use their laptop repair service again and am changing my plan to the basic coverage.

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I have the premier plan too. I have used it several times with good results. Seems to cover anything you can use to watch D* on. That includes AVR systems. Not a bad deal at all.

Rich