1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protection Plan Question...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by keithw1975, Aug 8, 2010.

1. keithw1975

keithw1975 Legend

Oct 1, 2006
    Missouri
    Directv was pushing their protection plan when they did the install at my new house. My parents don't have it and when they had had an HR20-700 fail they simply called Directv and they shipped out a new one since they are leased. So aside from the other things like free dish alignment why would you need this?

One other thing. I have two receivers right now and they are charging me a $5 lease fee for each of them. Shouldn't the first one be exempt?

2. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    While it is true there is no charge for a replacement receiver, there is a $19.95 shipping fee that is waived for Protection Plan members. Also, if you have owned receivers and they are replaced in the equipment replacement program by the Protection Plan, they will remain owned receivers.

3. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Check your bill. It may be they charge for both, then put a credit for one of them as a separate line item...

4. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    Thanks for your help guys. Just got off the phone with then (DirecTV) and placed the order for next Monday morning.

Kevin

5. Blurayfan

Blurayfan Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Illinois
    The bill should appear like this.

Fees
    -----------------------------------------
    xx/xx Primary Leased Receiver 5.00

Adjustments & Credits
    -------------------------------------------------
    xx/xx Primary Leased Receiver -5.00 Credit

6. keithw1975

keithw1975 Legend

Oct 1, 2006
    Missouri
    My bad. I have six credits and that one somehow got by me. :p

7. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    The Protection Plan isn't for everybody.

If you can repair your DirecTV system yourself (dish alignment, cable repairs, etc.) you probably don't need it. Since I installed/maintain my own system it is not cost-effective for me. However, some folks have dishes on roofs that they cannot access or complex multiswitch setups. For those folks the $72 per year is probably a value.

DirecTV receivers (including DVR's) are very reliable. In fact, I still have my original Hughes DirecTV receiver active on my account and it is 10 years old. Newer receivers/DVR's are leased which means if they fail you can get them replaced for only a $20 S & H fee which is very reasonable. And the replacement is guaranteed for 90 days. If it fails, you get another one no charge.

8. ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    It would be nice if it was a "perfect" world, but things happen, and when they have to send a truck to fix a problem (inside or out), that $80 charge for non-PP clients is a bitch. Piece of mind is worth that $5.99 monthly charge.

9. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    That $80 is especially tough since a service call is only $50 now :grin: