1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protection Plan?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Rich, Dec 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 7, 2007 #1 of 31
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Is the Protection Plan (PP) worth $5.99 a month?

First: Let me say that I've subscribed to Consumer Reports for many years and believe in their opinion of "extended warranties" or "replacement programs". Not worth the money. And I had come to that conclusion before I recall CR ever stating their opinions on the warranties.

But that is really "painting with a broad brush". There are always exceptions to opinions that are worth exploring.

Second: In this year of the HR20 and the new dishes and associated devices, I would have spent well over $500 in service calls and equipment. Well over.

Third: I've bought a lot of cars, three this year alone, and always get the extended warranty if I think I need it. I rebuilt a '78 Honda Accord, engine, transmission, etc. on an extended warranty that everybody told me was a waste of time. And I renewed it immediately when, shockingly, the warranty company offered to extend the warranty for a year after the original ran out.

I don't know how much the PP has saved me since 2002, but it paid the annual fees for all those years this year.

I admit that I think it is utter stupidity to buy an extended warranty on a TV or a refrigerator or a washing machine or a dryer. But I would not hesitate to buy an extended warranty on a dishwasher, for some reason they seem to breakdown at a higher rate than most appliances.

As I've said before, I'm an electrician by trade and I can fix most appliances myself and I know the CEs get a lot of equipment and appreciation from D* for doing their beta testing for them. If you have the technical experience or the spare parts to fix DVRs and dishes and are comfortable with circuitry, you probably don't NEED the PP. I don't NEED it, but I find it handy. And the PP techs seem to be a little better than the normal CSRs and you do get replacements quicker.

I realize $5.99 a month is an extra burden for some folks, but somehow I doubt we fall into that category, for the most part. I think the benefits far out weigh the cost.

2. Dec 7, 2007 #2 of 31
    clevfandad

clevfandad AllStar

May 24, 2007
    I recently needed a dish realignment and some wiring changed because I previously had a diplexer installed for my OTA. The service call would have been $75, but was free if I purchased the protection plan. I did go for the plan. I feel I'm already ahead of the game. Besides, at my age, I don't do ladders anymore. Not to mention crawl spaces. Eeeeew!

3. Dec 7, 2007 #3 of 31
    SuperDaddy

SuperDaddy Cool Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I recently reverted back to D*, and signed up for the Protection Plan immediately. $72 a year is WELL worth the cost for peace of mind, in my opinion. I won't hesitate to call for service either.

4. Dec 7, 2007 #4 of 31
    jlancaster

jlancaster Icon

Feb 10, 2006
    Yes I signed up for it a month ago ... I think It is...Mother-in-law always buys these types of things and she always gets what she wants at no extra cost. I think I have a bad at9 calamp lnb and I know I can get it changed out as I need it.

If you pay extra you can often get much better service.

5. Dec 7, 2007 #5 of 31
    joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    I would suggest...discover if the PP covers equipment after it is out of manufacturer warranty. If not........keep the installer's phone number and call him. Most HSPs are weeks behind on service calls. Pay the installer directly.

DTV has the equipment but they send reconditioned stuff for replacements. Hard to say where you will end up.

Just my bias,

Joe

6. Dec 8, 2007 #6 of 31
    morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    It does.

A working DVR reconditioned or not is better than a broken one. Not to mention swapping out receivers always leaves you with a surplus of remotes!

7. Dec 8, 2007 #7 of 31
    Funwith4kids

Funwith4kids Cool Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Folks-- Since I am paying D* a "lease fee" for each piece of equipment as it is D*'s equipment, why is a Protection Plan necessary? If the equipment breaks, D* owns it and should replace it.

8. Dec 8, 2007 #8 of 31
    TaylorJ

TaylorJ AllStar

Nov 3, 2007
    It is true that we will replace the receiver for you. however if the receiver has been activated the receiver more than 90 days, you would have to pay the delivery and handling charge of $19.95. With the protection you do not have to pay that.
    I get alot of calls from customers who believe that leasing the receiver also means that we can send a technician to their home at no cost that is not true. if you have to have a technician come to your home (and you haven't had a tech to your home in the last 90 days- for any reason) then it cost $70 dollars. If you have the protection plan, than you would be covered.

9. Dec 8, 2007 #9 of 31
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I believe the PP covers all equipment installed or provided by D*. At least that has been my experience. DVRs, multiswitches, dishes, LNBs, wiring, all covered. What else is there?

Having gone thru so many HR20s in the last year, I do not believe that the replacements are "reconditioned" or tested. I assume that I am going to have to go thru at least 3 replacements before getting one that works correctly. I am firmly convinced that nobody tests them for full functionality. The advantage with the PP is that you get the replacements within a day or two or three.

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    And don't forget the wires and BBCs.

Rich

11. Funwith4kids

Funwith4kids Cool Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Is something amiss with this? I pay for the receiver that I don't own...I lease it ongoing forever....and pay for all repairs for someone else's product. If it breaks I have to pay to repair or I am in breach of agreement. :mad: It should be D*'s responsibility to provide adequate equipment they force me to use and lease.

Write this down as you heard here 1st (someone else may have already said it) Someday there will be a class action suit against D* regarding this.:lol:

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That handling charge for the up to 30 HR20s that I have had in the last year comes to quite a tidy sum. Over $500. And I have seen posts where the poster has waited over 3 weeks for a replacement. PP sends them out right away. I usually get mine the next day that FedEx delivers.

Rich

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The cost of the PP is just nickels and dimes compared to the $2400 (at least) sat bill I pay yearly. And for me, well worth it.

Rich

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    If nobody filed a class action law suit against D* for releasing the HR20 last year without proper testing and with no disclaimers such as "might not work with some sets using HDMI", do you really think anyone will bother about the leasing program? I said we should sue last year and got little response and now am used to being treated as a fool by D*. The end result is a good HD picture and a DVR that works really well and if I had to suffer for a year, so what? I'm pretty well satisfied now. Better than Dish and a whole lot cheaper. Their DVRs cost almost $600.

Rich

15. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    Have PP. Sound shot on one of my HR20's. New one on the way at no cost. Less red tape on getting another receiver.

The PP works for me.

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    What was D* like in '95. DVRs? Just receivers?

Rich

17. shocky

shocky Legend

Oct 22, 2007
    Consumer reports did an article about a year ago or so on when to buy a an extended warranty and not. While the NOT list was very large there was an list of situations where it's good.

One of which was with a Laptop Computer. They cited the Dell Accidental Warranty if I recall.

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    And how about cell phones? Be a fool not to take out the insurance on them. Been there, done that, learned my lesson. Got all three cells insured now, you betcha.

19. Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2006
    And here is the problem with the fact that they call the additional receiver fee a leased receiver_additional fee.

Lots of people assume the $4.99 for each additional receiver is for the receiver itself. However, even if you owned ALL of your equipment, you would still pay the $4.99 per month.

The $4.99 extra for each additional receiver is a charge for them to mirror the programming on the primary receiver to all of your other ones. It has nothing to do with leasing the equipment - which is why I wish they would change the name of the fee as it shows up on the bill.

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    It's an accounting thing. The way it was explained to me, D* claims the "leased" receivers as owned by them. That way their worth is greater than if we purchased the HR20s as we did with TiVos and were able to resell them. And they depreciate the value of the "leased equipment" and make more money somehow or other.

And if it helps them stay in business and be competitive with other providers, I'm all for it. Good business decision. A rarity with D*.

Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.