Protection Plan

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by dazed&confuzed, Dec 19, 2013.

1. dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed AllStar

Mar 10, 2008
    What happens if you have a DVR that goes bad and you do not have the protection plan?

2. Camborita

Camborita AllStar

Nov 9, 2009
    As far as I know, you "should" be able to get a replacement DVR for no charge, other than the $20 fee to have the replacement shipped to you (YMMV). Note that the replacement could be a refurbished unit, and of course, any recorded shows on your current DVR will not be recoverable.

Hope that helps.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    And if the bad DVR is owned, the replacement is leased.

4. Cavicchi

Cavicchi Legend

Oct 28, 2008
    Effort, PA
    So you would save the $20 shipping charge, but the basic plan costs $7.99 before tax. Thus, after not having the PP for 3 months, you saved the shipping charge :)

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    True, though there are other benefits of the program. It's not worth it for everyone, but can be beneficial.

6. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Like dpeters11 mentioned the protection plan does cover other stuff too. Like all the wiring, SWM Power Inserter, Splitters, LNB, Dish, etc. So if a person isn't comfortable or able to replace those items on their own (or know anyone that could do it for them) then it really isn't a bad deal.

Since I am pretty capable of doing pretty much any of it (a lot thanks to this site) I cancelled my protection plan a little over a year ago. I have also told my parents and friends not to get it, or to cancel it as I am willing to fix their problems as well.

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Right, I'd get it for my parents if they didn't have a good local installer. Dad is more than happy to pay them to come out when they need service. He likes helping the small business, I like the owner going off on a rant when I mentioned noticing that the most expensive HDMI cable they had on display was $20. I liked her immediately :)

8. lesz

lesz Legend

Aug 3, 2010
    While, theoretically, there is a $20 shipping charge for a replacement receiver or DVR without the protection plan, many have requested that the $20 shipping charge be waived and have been granted that request. I've never had the protection plan, and, over the years, I've needed to have about a half dozen receivers or DVRs replaced. Each time, I requested that the delivery charge be waived, and, each time, it was. Also, when I have needed repairs on my wiring, peaking of the dish, replacing LNBs, etc., DIRECTV has sent someone out to do the work and has never charged me for doing so.

I have been a DIRECTV customer for 19 years, have perfect payment history, etc., and I can't guarantee that they would routinely waive these charges for all customers, but many have reported that, like in my case, DIRECTV has waived the charges even though they do not have the protection plan.

9. WaarrEagle

WaarrEagle New Member

Aug 24, 2008
    I do not have the protection plan and had my HR34 replaced earlier this week. I was charged the $20 shipping fee and I was unable to get it waived even though I asked. I am a relatively new customer still under contract so that may have had something to do with it. I was somewhat peeved as I don't see why it is my fault that the DirecTV leased equipment failed but whatever... I wanted my DVR back and it showed up ridiculously fast.

10. dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed AllStar

Mar 10, 2008
    Thanks Everyone!
    It looks like the main benefit would be a free upgrade every two years. Which about balances out the $192.00 for 24 months of the plan.
    I have two "Owned R-3-22's and I don't know if they would be covered under the plan anyway.
    I did all the wiring myself. The only drawback was that since I did everything myself D** didn't show that my system would be able to have an HR-44 plugged into it so I had to have a service person come out and "install" it.

11. Cavicchi

Cavicchi Legend

Oct 28, 2008
    Effort, PA
    Well, even being charged $20 is better than paying over $90 dollars per year just to get free shipping. When I had cable, there was no charge for service or replacement, but they are local. I can see why DTV would charge for shipping, but anything related to equipment, since it is leased, should be their responsibility, just my opinion. Every month you pay for DTV service.

1 person likes this.
  12. inhd40

inhd40 Mentor

Jan 26, 2013
    Would exchanging a client for a DVR like an HR24 be considered an upgrade? Trying to decide if I should keep the PP for another year.

13. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yes. although in my books, is a "downgrade"

14. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Why is that? I'd prefer the extra two tuners myself.

15. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    depends - in my case the 90 bucks is cheap, with the exception of the HR34 every one of my units are owned, the 90 bucks makes sure that I get a replacement purchased unit.

16. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I think he reversed it, he definitely wouldn't consider swapping a client for a DVR a downgrade. Now, whether DirecTV's system allows that is another story.

17. lesz

lesz Legend

Aug 3, 2010
    I'm not sure that you need the protection plan to get free equipment upgrades. Without the protection plan, I was offered a free upgrade, a couple of years ago, from an HD receiver to an HD DVR. A year or so ago, when I needed to have the dish pointing touched up (at no cost to me), the technician offered to upgrade my system to SWM and DECA. And, last summer, when I called in about something else and without me even asking about equipment upgrades, I was offered to replace one of my HD DVRs with a Genie, which turned out to be a new HR44. At the same time, I was offered free Sunday Ticket and other discounts, again, without me having asked for them. As I said in my earlier post, getting these offers without the protection plan may well depend on one's account history, but I've never had the protection plan, and I've never paid a cent for equipment replacements or equipment upgrades, including not having to pay the $19.95 shipping charges.

18. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    going from a HR24 to a client is consider an "upgrade" for DirecTV. in my books, this is a "downgrade" I'll keep the HR24 all day long... or any HDDVR for that matter. Yes, I rather have an HR20, or HR21 or HR22 or an HR23 instead of a client

19. n3vino

n3vino Godfather

Oct 2, 2011
    Leon...
    I have the PP and I got a free upgrade to a genie from an HD25 and all the necessary equipment and wiring for the extra tuners, and also an HR24 replacement with no shipping charges. I don't want to take chances on free stuff since I've only been with D* two years. I'd rather pay for upgrades and service a little at a time than all at one time. But we shall see how much my bill goes up this year. BTW, I pay my bill on time automatically every month.

20. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'll agree with that to some extent. Given the choice between a mini and a DVR I'd take the DVR anytime. But my home has seen its last 21 Series DVR. Or a 20-100.

Rich