protection plan

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by krel, Jun 3, 2020.

1. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    i have the protection plan on my acct. i am wondering if it's really worth the cost every month vs paying the one time 99.00 for a service call if needed..

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    It depends on your needs. The PP not only covers your DIRECTV equipment it also covers anything you use with your DIRECTV service (TVs, AVRs, Speakers, ect.).

3. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    i only have the 8.99 plan for the DTV system only. i have a friend that had the premier plan and his T.V crapped out on him. he filed a claim sent it in screen was not broken. they sent it back saying the screen was damagedo_O. he posted that on his FB acct...

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    The mother board failed on a 2016 4K HDTV in 2018. I filed a claim and was given the choice of either excepting a payment for it's current value or selecting a replacement TV (several models to choose from) of equal or greater value of the set I filed the claim on. There was a $50.00 dollar deductible for the claim and I chose one of the TVs offered (a 2018 4K HDTV) which was delivered to my address.

5. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    It really depends on how much you think you can do yourself. 8.99 per month is 108 bucks per year. Without the protection plan, it costs $19.99 to have them ship you a DVR/receiver if one of your existing ones goes out. Everything else can be bought on Amazon for less than $30 per item. About the only thing you can't easily do is peak your dish to the same levels that an installer can get with his signal meters (but you can get pretty close). Since they aren't coming out with new hardware, the free upgrades every two years are pretty much a joke and you can usually get the same deals just by calling retention. So from my perspective, it's not worth it and the only time I had it was when a CSR put it on my account one month to cover the $19.99 shipping fee for a failed DVR. I canceled it the next month and saved $11. However, I had to spend another 20 minutes on the phone getting it canceled. So I would say I didn't come out ahead in that deal and I'm sure the original CSR was hoping I would forget to call back in and cancel it.

With all that said, there are many others on this site that have the premier plan and have used it with great success when they had lightning strikes or expensive things go out.

krel likes this.
  6. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    i canceled it. i can do everything but point the dish.. as you pointed out parts are cheap on amamzon 13.99 for a reverse band LNB 6.00 for a power inserter 30.00 bucks for the light up remote a splitter is more than likely under 10.00 bucks. i'll save my $$$

7. ericknolls

ericknolls Active Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    It could be worth it depending on how many times you use it. Do you have a puppy that chews on the wires every chance it gets? A lightning strike could zap your equipment. A tree limb could cause your satellite to go out of alignment. You might move. Your remote control wears out. The DVR dies. That's a lot of home visits. Each one could cost $99 bucks for the major stuff and if your DVR goes bust and you don't have the protection plan - You may have to pay for a new one. So you have to think is it worth it?

krel and longhorn23 like this.
  8. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    I say it's worth . I have had my dish relocated a few times $0 charge. Also a tech came replaced my box same day.

I also have the ADH?? And they fixed my 12 year old tv for only $50

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    longhorn23 and paranoia like this.
  9. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    i did add it back on;):). that way if i ever do get a power surge and the box blows out it's there problem and not mine. as far as the rest of my eletronics i have a sqaure trade warranty on them wich will give me a full refund on them if they can't fix it vs fair market value...