Provider Sign In

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by Andrew Sullivan, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Active Member

Dec 7, 2017
    I downloaded the FOX and the NBC aps. Both prompt me to sign in with my provider. I don't have cable or satellite. Do I have a provider to sign in with?

2. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Do you have YTTV or another like service? You can use your YTTV sign on with most apps.

3. Andrew Sullivan

Dec 7, 2017
    Nope. I have an antenna, Netflix and Amazon and Disney+

4. garn9173

garn9173 Icon

Apr 4, 2005
    Ankeny, IA...
    You still need a username and password associated with cable, satellite or streaming service to access all of the apps.

5. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    When you have a satellite or cable subscription, part of your monthly fee goes to each of the channels in your package. Many "cable" stations make their streaming options available to their existing customers. Without a satellite/cable subscription, you are not paying those providers for their services and they are not about to make their streaming service available to you.

Some DO have stand-alone streaming services you can purchase, but many do not.

6. Andrew Sullivan

Dec 7, 2017
    I have no problem with ABC, TNT, TBS, SIFI,TBS. I use Netflix and Amazon. Don't those count as streaming services?

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Are you paying Netflix and Amazon for local channels? You need to use credentials for a service that provides your local channels.

8. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    You need a live tv streaming service like YTTV that carries the channel of the app you are trying to use. NetFlix and Amazon are not live tv streaming services they are VOD streaming services.

9. Andrew Sullivan

Dec 7, 2017
    So these companies all have apps. They are constantly asking you to download their apps. But you can only watch them if you are paying for some provider. If I can already watch them on my provider why do I need to download their app? Only so I can watch them on my phone or tablet? You would think that my watching their commercials would be enough incentive to want me to watch them. At least as far as the advertisers are cooncerned.

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    They want your money and for you to watch their commercials. :)

Some providers offer free streaming on their apps. Most do not.

11. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Some apps have limited content for people without an existing service to log on with. Discovery GO is one of them. You can stream a limited selection of shows without a login. To get all of their content you have to have a paid service to login with.

B. Shoe likes this.
  12. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I use a Fire Stick on my patio to watch these shows on a TV. No need to run coax or wireless receiver. If I'm going to be traveling for multiple nights, I'll take a Fire Stick or Roku as a backup for certain channels (example: NBCSN and SCI-FI channels are rarely on hotel TV systems).