1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 3D update out 9/21(?)

Discussion in 'Blu-Ray Hardware' started by RAD, Sep 16, 2010.

1. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    From http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...ort-coming-to-playstation-3-system-next-week/

Now this does run counter to what some Sony exec's said at a conference a couple weeks again. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the 9/21 date is good.

2. sdirv

sdirv Icon

Dec 14, 2008
    And still no word from Sony/Netflix about when Netflix will be built into the PS3 so that we can stop using the disc......

Waiting, wishing, and hoping for Netflix to upgrade to DD5.1 audio too.......

3. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Can't wait but the big question is will it have checkerboard 3D capability?

4. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    Got the update this morning. Not good news for Mitsubishi or Samsung DLP owners. No checkerboard. Too bad.

5. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Only 3D Blu-Ray I have is the Disney Demo that came with the Mits 3DC-1000 converter kit and that plays just fine on my Mits WD73735 with the 3DC. You had me scared for a moment that the PS/3 3D upgrade wouldn't work on my setup.

6. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    Sorry about that. I was speaking in terms of not having the adapter.

7. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Question regarding PS3...Just bought a PS3, and a blu ray to test it out with.
    Im only getting stereo audio (via HDMI). The disc says it has ENGLISH 7.1 DTS-HD MASTER AUDIO or ENGLISH MONO. The DTS circuit on my Denon 5.1 AVR wont activate, and all I can do is listen in stereo, or a crappy sounding PrologicII with no rear channels.

Is this standard for Blu Ray? Am I going to have to buy a new AVR to listen to these things in more than two channel stereo?

Edit: I changed the player to Bitstream (which warned it wouldnt play some of the blu ray content), but doing so activated my 5.1 Denons DTS circuit. I guess Im going to miss the 2 side channels?

Second question: My EDGE is showing the input format as 1080p/24 and its converting it to 1080p/60 since my Sharp wont accept 1080p/24. Are all blu-rays 1080p/24 or is that /24 /60 settings somewhere on the PS3?

8. emoxley

emoxley Cool Member

Jul 14, 2010
    If you miss anything, it will be the two surround back channels (rears), not the sides. In a 5.1 setup, the surrounds are to the side and just behind the head. They don't really go behind you. See Dolby's guide: http://www.dolby.com/consumer/setup/speaker-setup-guide/index.html

If your receiver is a 7.1 receiver, but you are using it as 5.1, you should disable the surround back channels in the receiver's setup menus. You'll be assured of not missing anything, because the receiver will mix the surround back channels into the 5.1 channels.

Yes, all the blu rays I've seen so far are 1080p/24...........

9. 3dtvs

3dtvs New Member

Dec 1, 2010
    how is gaming in 3d? I havent got the chance to try it yet.