1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Public Interest Channels

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Uncle Peter, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Oct 8, 2002 #1 of 13
    Uncle Peter

Uncle Peter AllStar

Jun 26, 2002
    How many of you watch these? Free Speech TV, World Link, Florida Panhandle Network???

2. Oct 8, 2002 #2 of 13
    TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I watch Colours, World Link and PBS-U all the time.

3. Oct 8, 2002 #3 of 13
    Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Never watch them, none of the interest me.

4. Oct 8, 2002 #4 of 13
    toomuchtv

toomuchtv Godfather

May 17, 2002
    Haven't found anything of interest to me.

5. Oct 8, 2002 #5 of 13
    Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    I like RFDTV and COULORSand PBS-U.

I think that the Good Samaraten Network should be dropped there is nothing on it and when there is it is IN HOUSE Training sessions. This is no good for the public at large.

6. Oct 8, 2002 #6 of 13
    gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I watch FSTV once in a while. I lean left, but they are genrally tooo left. They have on "Defense Monitor" with those retired US Generals and Admirals that don't follow the "Military Industrial Complex" and give reports on military issues from a different point of view than you typically see.

7. Oct 8, 2002 #7 of 13
    RJS1111111

RJS1111111 Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    We like World Link for music videos,
    PBS-U for cooking shows and Standard Deviants TV,
    RFD-TV mainly for the tractors and trains,
    and some of the UCTV, UWTV, and Research Channel
    programming.

I agree that Good Sam should either put up some
    real public-interest programming, or get off the air.

FSTV originates from Boulder, CO. There is occasionally
    some thought-provoking material on there, but much
    of it is very propagandistic.

8. Oct 8, 2002 #8 of 13
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    One of these days, I'm going to have to write up a drinking game for watching Free Speech TeeVee. :goodjob:

I watched Free Speech Television a few months ago because I was bored. First off, some of the programming had either Ralph Nader being interviewed as part of a "documentary", or quotes from Ralph Nader. Gee, doesn't that sound like a certain controversal reverand who has a certain PI channel that isn't carried on E*. :grin:

Okay, enough with the straw man attacks. The documentary that aired was how the media was not biased to the left, but rather an instrament of the right wing. While some of the arguments were somewhat legitimate, other arguments sounds rediculous. Even more fustrating, however, was how they conviently ignored some facts and factors, including how a story might be placed in the paper or newscast (ie Page One major story or at the top of the news with 5 minutes of coverage vs. a minor two-paragraph piece on page A24 or a 30 second blurb). Another factor ignored is how newscasts concentrate on ratings because of the advertising revenue, and may air certain "fluff" pieces instead of hard news. Airing a drug raid, for instance, is more exciting that a piece that isn't as exciting, but is more relevant to a person's life.

RFD-TV, however, carries the horse shows.

9. Oct 8, 2002 #9 of 13
    Unthinkable

Unthinkable Guest

Sep 13, 2002
    The only one I check from time to time is NASA which is usually good for some quality images/taped feeds late at night during the space missions where they are doing more then just testing plants and mice reacting to zero gravity conditions. Nice relaxing channel.

10. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I forgot all about NASA being a PI channel. Did anyone see the latest Shuttle Lauch? They had a camera mounted on the external fuel tank looking back at the shuttle and the ground. They had that puppy on during most of the launch up to SRB separation. It was absolutely astounding!

See ya
    Tony

11. Uncle Peter

Uncle Peter AllStar

Jun 26, 2002
    the Good Samaritian Channel runs a message board most of the time that is a waste of chanenl space. They should find something more valuable.

12. Unthinkable

Unthinkable Guest

Sep 13, 2002
    Yeah it was. Made me want to go see Apollo 13 at the local Imax here just to sit in those seats with the built in subwoofers and be apart of a historic space launch with 20K watts of sound. Love all the pre-flight checks they run through in that movie prior to launch. Doesn't get much better then that.

13. lee635

lee635 Hall Of Fame

Apr 17, 2002
    BIG JOE'S POLKAFEST ON RFDTV EVERY SATURDAY NIGHT!!!!!!!