1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pulled the plug

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by demonstimpy, May 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. demonstimpy

demonstimpy Legend

Jul 29, 2004
    So I pulled the plug. Someone recommended a reboot if the audio is out of sync.
    It didn't fix it. That's one issue.
    My big issue is when I plugged it back in (only off for a minute), all my recordings were gone. Is this normal???
    If that's the case, what happens with a power outage???:mad:

2. Fish Man

Fish Man Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Not normal at all.

Sounds like you've got a bad hard drive.

3. Slip Jigs

Slip Jigs DBSTalk Club Member

Oct 20, 2006
    That's not normal, no. It sounds more like the recent bug associated with the latest update than from pulling the plug.

4. demonstimpy

demonstimpy Legend

Jul 29, 2004
    Super. This thing was installed on Thursday. When it was powered up installed an update straight away. I think it said 15c or something. I was leaving it to the installer to get it up and running. What firmware is needed?

5. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    15C is the latest national release.

6. demonstimpy

demonstimpy Legend

Jul 29, 2004
    So this is a known issue with no fix?

7. Fish Man

Fish Man Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    It's not normal.

If you loose all your recordings again, please call DirecTV for a replacement.

Too many people are writing off hardware defects as software bugs.

I fell into that trap for a long time as my HR20 locked up, missed recordings, spontaneously rebooted, claimed I no longer had a subscription to my programming (which rebooting cleared), and exhibited many other aggravating problems. I finally demanded a replacement HR20, and have had zero problems since.

Many, many of us have power cycled our units since 0x15C has been download and had no ill effects.

This is NOT a normal thing you have to live with.

8. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Fish Man is right... there's something flaky with the one you have. I participate in the CE program and just to load CE code you need to reboot. I've never come across any issues like that (knock on wood) on any of my three receivers.

9. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I agree that this isn't "normal", but add: when you pull the cord, wait 5 min minimum".
    Short power "glitches" will cause troubles. somewhere in the manual it says 2-3 min for the un-plugging. I go for 5-10 min myself.

10. demonstimpy

demonstimpy Legend

Jul 29, 2004
    Okay. I'll record something later and then reboot it. I was wary of switching to this unit from my Tivo. Maybe I should have gone with my gut feeling and left it alone.

11. demonstimpy

demonstimpy Legend

Jul 29, 2004
    So leaving it unplugged for longer may have saved my recordings? Maybe?

12. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Doubtfull..

It is highly likely that there was an unrecoverable error on your hard drive, as part of the latest software updates... during the boot cycle it will attempt to repair any hard drive issues, or data corruption.

13. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    I disagree completely. I too thknk this has to deal with the latest recent update.

I've had my HR20-700 for well over a year at this point (physcal year; aug '06 to present date)and have been pretty much problem free. HOWEVER, the recent update wiped out my entire library of recording, the updcomming todo list and basically any custom settings I has saved on the IRD.

Further more after I set everthing including my shows to be taped back up----low and behold it erased everything again 2 days later.

This is definetly an error in code with the latest firmware release!

14. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    How did you get your HR20 over a year ago?

15. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    Well over a year?

That's quite an accomplishment for a unit that has been only been available for 9 months, tops.

And by what method did you arrive at the conclusion that this is "definetly" (sic) a firmware related issue?

16. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    calender year----geesh....
    man you guys are too literal...I got it back in august when they were first released to my area....

The bottom line issue is that this is not a "hardware" defect as 2 of my friends had the same thign occur upon the last release with their HR20-700 units.

17. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Your right... it does have something to do with the latest software version.
    The latest software version, will attempt to recover from a hard drive issues, or corrupted data files... and that includes the master catalog of what you have on the hard drive, and what you have recorded (and set to record)

Also, if you don't shut down with the MENU option to restart, then it is possible there are open files and data structures on the system... (similar to holding down the power button on your PC).

So yes... the system is getting more elaborate, that using the GUI structure shutdown method should be used EVERYTIME, unless you have no other choice.

If you are moving the system... RESTART the system, and pull the plug at the WELCOME screen.

BTW: As raven pointed out... the HR20 was released on August 16th... just over 9 months ago.

18. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    Yeah, I guess we're too literal because "well over a year" commonly refers to 9 months or less.
    :nono2:

19. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    You did say "well over a year ago"... which would emply more then 12 months, or even 1 calendar year.

20. elixir26

elixir26 Legend

Mar 9, 2007
    I don't think so. I have 4 HR20's running and have gone through several power outages (storms, too many hair dryers and vaccum cleaners) and have never lost content. One of my HR20's has a 750 gb e-sata external HHD connected and that one has had no loss of content. I'd try a reboot and then test record something. Then unplug and see if you lose it again. If you do lose it, call D* and get a replacement.

Good Luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.