1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Putting another R15 where only one satellite line exists?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ghstbstr, May 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghstbstr

ghstbstr Mentor

Apr 23, 2006
    I have two R15's one I am using another that I bought from Best Buy and would like to use it where only one satellite line exists, so is there a way I can get two satellite lines from that one existing satellite line?
    Can I use a "stacker" or do I have to have a DirecTV tech come and spend $70(or whatever it costs) to have a second satellite line put in?
    Please help as I would really like to have my other R15 in that room to have two satellite lines instead of only having the one satellite line going to that R15, which it would be a waste of a perfectly good R15 DVR to use only one satellite line.

Thanks,

2. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    Unless you get a good deal, a stacker will run you about $150. So $70 for a new line may be the cheaper option. Also, keep in mind that some here have had problems adding a stacker to their system and getting it to work properly.

3. ghstbstr

ghstbstr Mentor

Apr 23, 2006
    Please help?!

4. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Not much we can do to help other than tell you how it is.

Your options are:

1. Buy a stacker and have it installed with two lines from the dish to the stacker, then one line from the stacker to your receivers. In this case, every receiver or tuner needs a destacker. The R15 has built in destackers but that is not true of all recievers or dvrs. The cost of a stacker is upwards of $100.

2. Have another coax run from your dish (or multiswitch) to the dvr. This is normally the least costly and most reliable solution.

3. Stay with what you have now.

Sorry, but that pretty well sums up your options. Pick a number from 1 to 3 and go for it.

Carl

5. ghstbstr

ghstbstr Mentor

Apr 23, 2006
    I saw this "below" somewhere for $50.00, will that work?

US575 DBS LNB stacker, Single Coax Output

This stacker is what is hooked directly to your satellite dish. From this, it feeds your equipment.
    High input capability and solder back case enable the unit to be placed at the dish. Crystal controlled synthesized upconversion of the even (+18V) polarity. DC Voltage at the output connector passes through to the "even" input. The single voltage force tunes the LNB to produce both polarities ready for "stacking".
    Description: Places both polarities of a single DBS satellite on one coax. Crystal controlled synthesized up-conversion of the even (+18 V) polarity produces a “stacked” signal High input capability enables the unit to be placed at the dish.
    Units have a solder-back case and weather boots for outdoor installation. DC voltage at the output connector passes through to the “Even” input to power a dual LNB. The single voltage force tunes the LNB to produce one even polarity and one odd polarity.
    Since this unit can be used in different applications, the HR PI-20 power inserter with 20 Vdc transformer will be included.

Product Specs and diagrams: http://www.sonoradesign.com/

Specifications

RF Specifications

RF Input Frequency

(2) 950 to 1450 MHz

DBS Input Window:

-33 to -44 dBm

Output:

950 - 2013 MHz

Gain/Loss:

3 dB loss

Thanks again,

6. cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    ghstbstr, not sure if that stacker will or won't work. What I wanted to point out is that if you have a 3 or 5 LNB the stacker may not work. The only success story that we have is some using a 2 LNB. My understanding standing is that it can be done with a 3 or 5 LNB but the cost is very high. So if you don't have a single or double LNB I would go with Carl6's option 2 or 3. Good luck.

7. madisn

madisn Cool Member

Apr 26, 2006
    ghstbstr -

Since you havent said what kind of equipment (dish / LNB / Multiswitch) you currently have connected - it is hard to say what would be best.... You say you have 2 R15's - one you are using and another you bought at Best Buy and want to use where there is only a single line -

On the R15 you 'are using' (not the new one) - are there two sat lines (input 1 and 2) being used currently? More importantly - Is your dish more round (18") or more elliptical (18x24) - how many LNB's are there - and how many lines come from the dish to your house?

I'm thinking that you may only need to run a line - If not then that stacker will not work for you anyway unless you do run a line! Let me explain....

1. (I don't think this is what you have but...) Lets say you have a Dual LNB oval dish - you have two lines from the dish to your house - If only ONE line goes to the current R15 and the other you want to use with the 'new' R15 - then a stacked signal would do you no good - you would end up stacking BOTH LNB's on to one line only - and you would have nothing going to the other. If you wanted to stack 2 signals on each line you would need more hardware than just the one stacker and it would save money to have it professionally done.

2. I would 'think' that you have two lines already going to your main R15, and have a 3rd line going somewhere else for your 'new' R15 - in which case you probably have a multiswitch already at your dish - either you have a Phase III dish (3 LNBs) and 4 outputs or perhaps you have a Dual LNB oval dish with a 4 output multiswith attached. If this is the true, than the orriginal installer probably only ran 3 lines from the dish to the house - since that is the least amount of work they could get away with....

Any way - if this is the case and you already have 4 'outputs' at the dish and only 3 are being used - the easy thing to do is just to run the 4th line from the dish right beside the single line to the 'new' R15. If you don't want to take the easy route - then you can use that stacker for the 3rd line, but you need to buy some smaller lengths of cable anyway so that you can use two of the 'outputs' (of the 4 outputs at the dish) - to go into the stacker, then use that single line as the output - but you may also need to use the included power inserter which begs the question do you have a power outlet at / near the dish, or will you be splicing your line somewhere and adding connectors?

-- Honestly, your best bet is to simply run another line - or spend the money you would use on the stacker and cable to do it yourself and have it professionally done. But again, this is all just guesswork without knowing what kind of eqipment you have!

3. If you have a dual LNB and only have 3 outputs at your multiswitch - then you will need more hardware anyway as it will put you in a simiar situation to #1.

Someone let me (and ghstbster) know if my thought process is flawed here - as it was a lot of guessing on the equipment he may have :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.