PVC Mast Anchored in Ground??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by ac398, Sep 30, 2010.

1. ac398

ac398 New Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Ok well I live in an apartment and Im not allowed to mount a satellite dish into their structure- no wooden beams or mounting into the patio fence and you cant do tripods because the building has weird angles where th dish needs to extend about a foot off the patio. Even though 7 or 8 other people in the complex have had satellites mounted technically wrong forever and the complex does nothing but the DTV installers who came both times to install wouldn't do it because they had to go to the lobby and get the manager's permission first, I try telling them once its up no one cares but couldnt convince them. I understand its their job it just sucks when everyone else can break the rules and no one cares but you can't and you wouldnt even get in trouble if you did. Alright to the point I want to build a pole by anchoring a galvanized 1 1/4" base into the concrete in my patio screwing a male pvc adapter into it and running pvc about 7' high where it has to 90* off the patio about a foot then 90* again up with just enough pvc coming up to drop the dish onto. Im saying 1 1/4" pvc with 1.6" OD because I dont think pvc that tall is strong enough to handle the ka/ku dish in bad weather. Im going to zip tie the pole around a wooden post at about 5' high and after they leave im going to get those pipe holders that anchor into walls and hold the pipe in place and put those from th floor up to about 5 ft. I got this idea cuz someone else in the complex has done this. I figure if DTV has nothinf to do with putting up this pipe then the yll just put the dish on top. Also was thinking about buying an under eaves roof joist bracket for the dish just im not sure if DTV guys would mount the dish on it if I already had it installed when they got here. WHat do you guys think I hate Cox cable or else I would just suck it up.

2. ac398

ac398 New Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Also when i call DTV they dont allow customers to install their own eqipment. I thought they had that option before, Id love it if they left me the equipment and let me do it office closed sundays, I might let them run the wire if im feeling lazy.

3. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    If I were a tech I wouldn't touch that monstrosity you are planning.

4. ac398

ac398 New Member

Sep 30, 2010
    you know I never would have thought of it except theres one just like it right in my same complex. And its made it through the last 2 monsoon seasons so it seems to be sturdy. Im thinking about buying an under eave bracket and having it already installed when the installer shows up, therefore he did nothing wrong, i did all the drilling into their joist. The last guy said if a mast was already up itd be easier to get somebody to do it. I just gotta stop getting DTV guys who keep going in the leasing office to ask before they install.

5. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    You gotta go around guys who want to get paid for their work. Doing what you ask requires written permission from the property owner for any FREE installation to take place. Even then there will be costs for your FREE installation.

Directv gives FREE installations in situations where their system will be in service long enough to repay the FREE installation costs. You are going to have to buy the equipment yourself...Solid Signal etc....and install it and activate it.

Assuming you can get it to work you will be a customer.

Joe

6. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    You know, there was a post about solidsignal.com selling D* service. I never saw how it was done, but it seems like they would just ship you the stuff. IDK, you might call them or some other retailers and see what they say.

If you had the eave mount and the tech still wouldn't do it, then you could do it yourself if SS would ship you the stuff and do whatever they do to get you turned on.

I heard self install can also be done if you own the equipment outright, as in buying your own dish and having owned receivers instead of leased, installing it, getting signal, and calling in saying you have your own owned equipment and have good signal levels, but I don't know of anyone that has done it for sure, one of the regulars on "the other satellite forum" said he did it for his grandmother but it was a PITA since none of the CSRs had any clue how to do it, but I have never tried it or asked about it, and YMMV. I also heard you need all the information from the previous account if your owned receiver isn't directly from the access card distribution team, like if you bought one from an individual, which could be kinda hard to do on ebay or something. I think doing it this way keeps you out of commitment as well, but not sure.

7. Nick

Nick Charter Gold Club Member

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    To the OP:

First, complexities of such an install aside, where permission is required by an installer in order to proceed on an apartment install, it is up to the resident to get a letter from the landlord or owner. Never ask or tell an installer to 'go get permission'.

Second, if you want sat tv, don't move to a place where getting sat tv would be problematic.

Third, do your research first. Actually, that should be first.

8. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Note that the Slimline dish requires the pole to have a 2" OD.

9. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    +1

AND, as an installer I did pass on an installation where the resident manager said no eq on the roof and other things. I reported NO LANDLORD PERMISSION and canceled the job. The DSI office just sent another tech who did a quick and dirty installation. I later found out the customer was charged to remove the eq and repair all holes.

Money was spent...Directv probably hit him for canceling the contract. In the end...black screen.

Research!

Joe

10. woodybeetle

woodybeetle Legend

Feb 27, 2008

Really, you want an installer to neglect his due dilligence and just sling the dish in. You would get a "not installed" from my techs in a heartbeat for trying to get them to bypass the correct procedures. There is so much legal liability when instyalling in an apartment complex these days. It is almost stupid to even attempt it in the first place. I give installers credit for at least checking with the office for their guidelines. Simple fact for you, any dish installed in accordance with OTARD rules must be grounded within 10 feet of the main house ground. We have 2700 MDU customers running off headend installations and to this day. To this day, we have never seen a dish go up in a complex that is either grounded or meets local wind codes. We then promptly remove dish from the mount, knock on the door, hand dish to the customer along with a note specifying the reasons their dish was removed. Asking an installer to not do his job and open himself to loosing his job or his company mass amounts of money from your request is insane, as well as liable in the courts eyes. Accept the outcome of your installers professional "no" or buy the equipment on line and DIY. It never ceases to amaze me that there are people that do not understand that no means no, not "well, you are special, so ok"

11. Codfishjoe

Codfishjoe AllStar

Sep 2, 2010
    Agree with the previous posters. If you want DTV at your home, its going to end up being you install the system yourself, and it being completely unsupported and not warrantied by DirecTV aside from subscribing to the programming. Not to mention you assuming the complete liability for the installation with your apartment complex. I also agree that the apartment complex will probably not pursue you for not following their rules as you stated. But like I said, it's a risk you'd have to weigh and eventually have to perform yourself.

12. gnahc79

gnahc79 Godfather

Jan 11, 2008
    Chances are soon after that dish goes up, apt management will have it removed. Installers have already stopped by the lease office indicating you're trying to put up a dish, so you may be on their watch list. Your renter's insurance (if you have any) does not cover a dish extending a foot over the patio or an under eave mount.

If you do it anyways, just be prepared to pay the ETF from DTV. Management could just decide to start doing a sweep of all non-compliant dish installs.

13. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Schedule 40 PVC isn't good enough for a fresh breeze. You can get 1-1/2" (1.90" OD, .225 wall) schedule 120 PVC and it is quite rigid.

Don't assume that you're neighbor is limping along with schedule 40.

14. goblazers_6

goblazers_6 AllStar

Apr 20, 2009
    :lol:

Funny, but so true.