1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PVR501 Noise

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by -, Apr 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guest

I recently made the leap and purchased a PVR501 and am generally quite happy with it. I'm not a "power user" so a lot of the complaints I've seen on these forums aren't issues that bother me. However, there is one issue that is something of a concern. That is the noise this baby cranks out. I expected some noise as I have talked to others that have the 501 and they have indicated that the unit does make a slight hum. However, I did not expect it to be as loud as it is.

How do I know if it is normal or if there is something wrong with my unit?

2. Nascar

Nascar New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    When I first got my "501" it did make some noises, but now I can hardly hear anything. :shrug:

3. Guest

Do you think that means the noise went away or does it mean that you just learned to tune it out? I originally assumed I would eventually learn to tune it out, however that doesn't seem to be happening.

I'm afraid my wife's going to make me put it in the basement.

4. Nascar

Nascar New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Sorry but yes the noise just went away. :)

5. May 1, 2002 #5 of 16
    geneb11

geneb11 Legend

Mar 24, 2002
    Ok I have asked this question when I first got my 501. some of you may remember. some click and some whine. The ones that click have the seagate drive in them. Mine has a seagate and clicks it's not that loud. I think the one that whines is a maxtor. You can read it on top of the drive by looking through the top of the unit. I had a dishplayer that was really loud and so did my Mom she RMA'd hers and the one she has now is quiet. If it's really loud I would RMA it. It can be really annoying beleive me I know!:cool:

6. May 1, 2002 #6 of 16
    DarrellP

DarrellP Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    I returned my first 2 501's, they were clickers and very loud. The unit I have now is a whiner, not very loud but when everything is off it is distracting. I may have Dish replace this one and the next one until they can get it right.

7. May 1, 2002 #7 of 16

Forgive my ignorance, but what is "RMA'ed"???

8. May 1, 2002 #8 of 16
    Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    RMA is returned for replacement because of a problem. Not sure what the letters actually stand for.

9. May 1, 2002 #9 of 16
    Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    Excuse my spelling "Return Material Authorization"

Means they accept your box back for a replacement.

10. Donger

Donger Mentor

Apr 24, 2002
    My new 501 was pretty noisy too. The clicks didn't bother me, but there was a distinct "hum" that my wife noticed first. I put small felt pads under the "feet" of the unit, and the hum went away and has not returned! :D Might want to try that. I think that the 501 only has rubber feet at the rear and not the front. The non-rubber feet were vibrating the unit on my wood entertainment center. Not anymore!:hi:

11. Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    My 501 has a typical HDD spin noise, not loud, but noticable if you are listening for it.

12. Adam Richey

Adam Richey Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Kokomo, IN
    At least it doesn't sound like it's taking off, or does it? :)

13. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    Has anybody heard of their 501 making a click sound when you pause and unpause a live show/prerecorded event ?

14. Guest

Like a lot of companies today, E* uses the abbr. "RA" for "Return Authorization."

15. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    There are only two mechanical parts in the 501: The hard drive and the fan. The fan will come on when the temperature gets too high or you do a front panel reset. Depending on the hard drive, it will ocassionally make noise. The first 501 started to make two loud clicks when powering up, but the second 501 didn't. The RMA was unrelated to this issue.

16. DarrellP

DarrellP Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    My second one did this so I returned it. Oddly enough, my new one does not do it if I am listening via the TV or my HT receiver, but when I have my headphones on I can hear it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.