Quality level of new Tivo DVR?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by litzdog911, Sep 4, 2008.

Quality level of the new Tivo DVR?

1. Absolutely perfect. No bugs, no issues, no dislikes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Okay. No bugs, no issues, but some features will need tweaking

11 vote(s)
    14.5%
  3. Fair. Some non-critical bugs, glitches, or features not up to par

26 vote(s)
    34.2%
  4. Bad. Nearly non-functional. More headaches than cheers

39 vote(s)
    51.3%
  1. Sep 4, 2008 #1 of 40
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Lots of polls popping up around the Tivo announcement, so I thought I would start another one ....

We've all had our complaints about the bug/quality level of the non-Tivo DVRs, so what level of issues do you expect with the next generation DirecTiVo?

2. Sep 4, 2008 #2 of 40
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    We've also all had our complaints about the bug/quality level of tivo DVR's (depending how long you've been around).

And for the record, I haven't had any complaints about the quality level of non-tivo DVR's.

3. Sep 4, 2008 #3 of 40
    bgottschalk

bgottschalk Icon

Aug 30, 2007
    No complaints for me as well. My HR20 and new HR21 have been solid.

Since the TIVO will be a brand new software (and possibly hardware) solution, I would guess somewhere between bad and fair to start, with vast improvements coming quickly.

4. Sep 4, 2008 #4 of 40
    Redlinetire

Redlinetire Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    Do you mean on day of launch?
    After six months?
    After one year?

I'm assuming you mean at launch, so I voted fair...

5. Sep 4, 2008 #5 of 40
    LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    You forgot a 5th choice in the Poll...

5. Checking any answer in this poll is dumb!

6. Sep 4, 2008 #6 of 40
    RobertE

RobertE Active Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Dude, do you have a death wish? The Tivohadists are going to hunt you down now. :lol: You've just become more hated than Salmon Rushdie. Better check your back seat the next time you get in your car, crazies are...unpredictable.

7. Sep 4, 2008 #7 of 40
    bgottschalk

bgottschalk Icon

Aug 30, 2007

:lol:

Now that's funny - I don't care who you are...

8. Sep 4, 2008 #8 of 40
    Redlinetire

Redlinetire Icon

Jul 24, 2007

You keep showing up in every TiVo speculation thread, complaining that it's speculation.

Do you not understand the concept of a discussion forum? :confused:

If you want news, ignore the threads and leave the discussion to those that want to talk...

9. Sep 4, 2008 #9 of 40
    Citivas

Citivas Godfather

Oct 25, 2006
    The first two choices are too high a standard for any box from any manufacture, ever.

Which of the last two will totally depend on whether it turns out to be based on an existing TiVo hardware box, like the TiVo HD XL DVR, or if like with the Comcast example they are forced to develop it as a software option on existing DirecTV hardware. Almost certainly they will have more serious problems if they do the latter. Also, it depends on when the release. They haven't even starting developing this yet but have promised an '09 delivery. If there is pressure to stick to that it's pretty likely there will be at least one or more serious bugs at launch. Hopefully not as bad as the early days of the HR20 in 2006, but still worse than it should be...

10. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    Agreed. Also depends on how much neutering DirecTv makes them do.

11. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Your poll,[ ...Mod edit: redacted comment...] no good choices. When D* announces something new 12 months down the road, I've learned over the years not to hold my breath. It may never happen. If and when a Tivo arrives it would have to have features the HR's don't or I wouldn't even consider it.

12. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    FAIR. As with any new product nowadays ...

13. cmtar

cmtar Icon

Nov 16, 2005
    I thinkg discussion is fine but i think its a little early but it doesnt bother me. But i love my D*DVR, I have used tivo before and personally i hate tivo the UI is like using my kids leapfrog leapster.

14. HDinMA

HDinMA AllStar

Aug 29, 2008
    My guess is DirecTV will take a superior product and make it inferior - their specialty. :D

15. njblackberry

njblackberry Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    I have no idea what the quality of the Tivo DVR will be, but in the years that we had (and still have) SD Tivos, combined we didn't have to restart them as many times as we've had to restart one HR21-700 in the past 9 months. I think in the long run the Tivos will be excellent, and I hope that their quality will magically transfer to the HR21s.

Day one - fair. Day 180 - excellent.

16. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I would expect the new HD TiVo s/w to be comparable to the HR10 s/w, i.e., essentially as "bug free" as any application can be. /steve

17. ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    My TiVo was just about perfect right out of the box.

I can honestly say that it never missed a recording and never had a blank recording.

The same can't be said for my HR20-100.

18. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Until there is a unit there is no point in the discussion of quality or blame for lack of quality.

Discussion is fine but this is pointless... you need hardware in your hands to criticize until then you are wasting your time.

19. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Some people here were around for the very first DirecTivos, before they had DLB. There were issues back then, and there were issues when I jumped onto the TiVo Bandwagon in 2003. I do expect the hardware side to be pretty mature, but I am willing to bet the software side will have to climb the same slope that Series3Tivos, ComcasTivos, and HR2x DVRs are climbing.

18 months after it's released, meaning potentially the summer of '11, they ought to have a pretty decent handle on it.

20. jdmac29

jdmac29 Godfather

Jan 6, 2006
    It will have bugs like the hr series had at first. I had one sd tivo for directv and it had the 6.3e software on it and it rebooted 3 times a week. Now this is after they have had these models out for years. I have 2 hr series when it comes out I will probably try one out just for the fun of a new box. I agree with Stuart it will be a few years for it to work great. I was one of the first with the hr20 and it took about 8 months to finally not have any major issues.