1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Query on mapdowns, LINK TV

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by joyandjerry, Feb 14, 2013.

1. joyandjerry

joyandjerry AllStar

Jul 3, 2012
    I have a rudimentary understanding of the "mapdown" process. Recently I noticed that LINK TV, on channel 9410, has no corresponding three digit mapdown. Occas., I scroll through the guide to see what new stations have been added. LINK is only available on 9410. Does anyone know why or if other stations are only available this way, also?

I found out about LINK as I was "researching" a TV series, Borgen, listed in Entertainment Weekly mag as Steven King's best show of 2012. Since his other picks were similar tastes as ours, I looked for the series. Since the DVD's require an all-region player, I was lucky I found it with the help of Google, starting today. http://www.linktv.org/Borgen

2. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Link I believe is a Public Interest (PI) channel there is no map down for PI.

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    On the Hopper the 9400 series channels stand out, as the HD channels in that range are mapped down only and do not appear on their "real" channel number. Depending on satellites one receives, one should get:
    9400 BABY1 Baby First TV
    9403 BYUTV BYU TV
    9405 PNTGN Pentagon Channel
    9406 ARTS Classic Arts Showcase
    9410 LINK Link TV
    9411 ENLC Enlace TV
    9413 ALMA AlmaVision Hispanic Network
    9415 FSTV Free Speech TV

There are additional "Public Interest" channels lower in the guide, notibly NASA, CSPAN and many of the religious channels in the 250s/260s.

4. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Fallston, MD
    That's why I have a favorite list with all of the duplicate channels removed. I have to keep it updated, but this site helps me know when things change.

5. joyandjerry

joyandjerry AllStar

Jul 3, 2012
    Thanks so much for the info; this is why I really enjoy this forum!!

6. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Exactly what I do.

7. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I also have lots of finding LINK.

8. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Some model receiver also have (or had in the past) those other PI channels in this 4-digit "neighborhood" (I recall it started in the upper 9300's with some of the religious channels that also appear in the 260's).

9. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There are still a couple of mirrors in the 939x range. Nothing that is not available to most viewers elsewhere. I believe they were put there for the "Family" package or some other special package.