1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about an old R22-100 in a new system

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by philherz, Nov 22, 2018.

1. philherz

philherz Legend

May 3, 2008
    At least 8 years ago, my son bought an R22-100 at Best Buy for his bedroom and he used it until he moved out 18 months ago and got his own system with a Genie.

As was suggested by a couple people here on the forums, he was able to watch some of the programs that he'd recorded at his new place by connecting the R-22 directly to a TV, but after a while, it stopped working. Since then, he's tried using a splitter on one of the lines in his new place to get a D* signal to the R22, but he hasn't been able to watch anything on the it.

After 18 months, is there any hope that we can contact D* and get a new card or use this in place of one of his Genie "slave" units or something to officially add it to his system and watch the programs that were recorded on it? (I should say that before he moved out, some of the technical people at D* said that he should be able to incorporate the R22 into his new system, some said that he couldn't, and some didn't have a clue.)

Thanks

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    toss it, no more use for the R22, it's obsolete box (good for parts actually)
    in April'19 DTV will stop transmitting MPEG-2 SD channels

3. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    The R22 does hd if Directv enables it.

4. philherz

philherz Legend

May 3, 2008
    I don't think he wants to use it to record, I think he just wants to watch the stuff that's already recorded on it now that he's own his own account.

Can it be done? How?

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If your main intent is to watch the old recorded programs,
    try this,
    Do not put a coax on the unit and plug in the AC power. It will go thru about 15 minutes of stuff trying to find the satellite . At some point you can press the List button on the remote. Then with an HDMI connected to an HD TV you should / could possibly see the old recordings there.
    I have an HR24 in this state right now.

If you hook up the coax they will send a signal to the receiver that it is not valid and it will not do anything after that.

6. philherz

philherz Legend

May 3, 2008
    Since he's now got it hooked up with a splitter on an active D* line, is it safe to assume that he can't retrieve the stuff that was recorded on it from when it was in use?

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Yes, No, Maybe. That means that I do not have a clue.
    Just press the List button on the remote and see if they come up and try one.

8. philherz

philherz Legend

May 3, 2008
    Cool.......He just left and he's going to give it a try!

thnx