1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about aspect ratio on difference devices

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by mark40511, Feb 14, 2017.

1. mark40511

mark40511 Legend

Jul 18, 2008
    Lexington KY
    I honestly do NOT know where to post this but if someone comes across this perhaps you could explain to me. Currently, I use Plex home theater to stream all my files across my home network. Prior to this, I used small media players on my TVs connected to a hard drive. The small media players (micca speck) in my case, could allow full screen for 4:3 content without it looking overly distorted at all. There was nothing cropped off the pic, it just looked ever so slightly stretched.

Now, with plex, I cannot do this and I have to rely on my TV if I want 4:3 to be 16:9. Normally, I just leave it alone in its native format, but I was playing around the other day with my TV's stretch mode on some 4:3 content and I noticed something I do not understand. Example: I Love Lucy - I have the entire series that I ripped myself from DVD's to mp4. In stretch mode, some episodes look perfectly fine, while others have this horrible zoomed in look. Since all episodes are 4:3, I'm trying to understand why there is this difference. And it's not just this 4:3 show, it's other 4:3 shows as well, some episodes look terrible in stretch mode while others look great. Can someone explain to me why there is this difference if it's all 4:3 content? I never experienced this when I used full screen mode on my media player on any 4:3 content.

I realize a lot of people think it's a horrible sin to stretch 4:3 to 16:9, but some devices seem to do it really well without making it look horribly distorted.

2. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I never understand the reason why folks find a need to fill their screens when watching 4:3 content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    They PAID for a wide screen, they might as well use every pixel! :)
    I planned ahead ... when I bought my first 16x9 TV I made sure that a 4x3 picture would be the same size as the 4x3 TV that the new TV replaced. The black bars didn't bother me since the main picture was still as large as I wanted. Well over a decade have passed and I'm still an OAR fan.

(I try to be tolerant when I visit someone who is watching a 4x3 SD feed stretched on their 16x9 HDTV ... especially when they subscribe to HD and could be watching a 16x9 HD feed. Sometimes friendship is more important than being right. Although do friends let friends watch SD?)

4. the2130

the2130 Member

Dec 17, 2014
    I hate watching stretched video.

5. the2130

the2130 Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Yes, it's horrible.

6. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    at least the TS understands the principle, that a 4:3 doesn't fill the screen. What really drives me up the wall are those who just don't get it and want their screen filled. With SD channels is not a problem as those can be stretch all night long, but then you have the SD commercials (or programming) on HD channels that can't be stretched and the customers say, is the receiver broken?!?!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I would see if I could get my hand on the remote for just a couple of minutes and show them how to find the HD channels. I do not watch SD at all.

8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't either. I can get a great picture when playing Star Trek or ST:TNG or Oz in 4:3 aspect on NF and I do watch them. The black bars don't annoy me. I'd never watch those shows on D*. I wouldn't change the aspect on any show, I can't stand watching "Pumpkin Heads".

Rich

9. DishCSR

DishCSR Godfather

Jan 14, 2004
    My husband calls that stewie heads, you know the baby from family guy, and he's one of them that doesn't understand the whole sd vs hd

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

10. mark40511

mark40511 Legend

Jul 18, 2008
    Lexington KY
    So then no one knows what I'm talking about? I get that stretched content looks pretty bad and I usually just leave it native. What I'm saying is, I was messing with the TV stretch function on some 4:3 shows on Plex. What I'm not understanding is why some 4:3 shows using the TV stretch mode look really zoomed and awful, while other 4:3 shows using the TV stretch mode do not have a zoomed in look but just a slightly stretched look, with nothing cropped off. Since they are all 4:3, why would the stretch function display one totally differently than another is what I'm wondering.

11. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    There are two types of stretch but I always understood that it was dependent on the display being used, not the content. I dont know the correct names for them but you have an uneven stretch where the center of the picture is stretched minimally and the outer edges have more stretch to fill the screen. Then you have the even stretch where the whole picture is stretched and looks terrible

Rich likes this.