DBSTalk Forum banner

Question about fees if adding a 3rd hd-dvr

2K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Bill Broderick 
#1 ·
I've been with directv since before it was directv. We currently have 2 hd-dvrs. We put an addition on our house and we don't really like sharing the dvr between the living room and family room.
Last week I started to think about adding a 3rd hd-dvr, but don't understand what our added extra fees will be.

Our bill looks like this now
Advanced receiver-hd monthly. 10.00
Advanced dvr monthly. 8.00
Additional tv. 6.00
Primary tv. 6.00
Credit primary tv -6.00

When I went online to see the cost for hd-dvr and went to the checkout it said it was charging 10.00 for hd-dvr monthly and 6.00 for additional tv, plus the 199 for hd-dvr. I didn't check out because I DO plan on calling to buy this.

So will I be charged 16.00 more a month for that 3rd one?

AND does this put me in a new 2 year contract? If so can I ask for some kind of deal since I get no price breaks now, and have been with them forever? Lol.

Sorry this is so long. Thanks for any help!

See less See more
#3 ·
Wintersnow said:
I've been with directv since before it was directv. We currently have 2 hd-dvrs. We put an addition on our house and we don't really like sharing the dvr between the living room and family room.
Last week I started to think about adding a 3rd hd-dvr, but don't understand what our added extra fees will be.

Our bill looks like this now
Advanced receiver-hd monthly. 10.00
Advanced dvr monthly. 8.00
Additional tv. 6.00
Primary tv. 6.00
Credit primary tv -6.00

When I went online to see the cost for hd-dvr and went to the checkout it said it was charging 10.00 for hd-dvr monthly and 6.00 for additional tv, plus the 199 for hd-dvr. I didn't check out because I DO plan on calling to buy this.

So will I be charged 16.00 more a month for that 3rd one?

AND does this put me in a new 2 year contract? If so can I ask for some kind of deal since I get no price breaks now, and have been with them forever? Lol.

Sorry this is so long. Thanks for any help!
Nope. The DVR/HD fee's are the monthly fee's for those services. They are not for equipment. The only additional charge on your monthly bill would be 6$ for having a 3rd reciever.

#4 ·
Oh good! So it will only be 6 more a month? Or is there a price increase on that? I didn't know there was going to be increases.
I haven't been in a contract for YEARS, lol. I really dislike being trapped in contracts. I'm sure i will end up doing it anyway, lol.

#5 ·
Wintersnow;3182689 said:
Oh good! So it will only be 6 more a month? Or is there a price increase on that? I didn't know there was going to be increases.
I haven't been in a contract for YEARS, lol. I really dislike being trapped in contracts. I'm sure i will end up doing it anyway, lol.
Even with the price increases, the receiver fee will be $6. The DVR fee and subscription plans are going up in cost.

- Merg

#6 ·
Wow, I am very disappointed after calling. I got no offer for less then 199. Plus 50 for install, which we DON'T need. Not gonna happen! And if I didn't want a contract it would be 100 more.

I just said thanks and good bye. My husband isn't happy either.

Should I try and call again? I hate to leave directv, but with all the increases I just learned about plus no deal at all, I'm disappointed.

#7 ·
You should call back. When you get to the voice prompts say "cancel". That will get you to the retention department. Explain that you don't really want to leave, but $199 is too much to add a dvr. They are likely to give you a better deal. Exactly what is determined by your payment history and other factors. Good luck!

#8 ·
studechip said:
You should call back. When you get to the voice prompts say "cancel". That will get you to the retention department. Explain that you don't really want to leave, but $199 is too much to add a dvr. They are likely to give you a better deal. Exactly what is determined by your payment history and other factors. Good luck!
I called back before seeing your post about asking for retention department. I spoke with just the cs, he did offer 100 off, but still insists that someone HAS to come and install for 50. I'm not paying 50 for something my husband can do himself! I don't understand why if you call and order the receiver they "make" you have them install it, but if you order online you can opt out of having them install it?
Am I being played, or is that how it's always done?

#14 ·
Depending on what your system is right now that 50 could be a real deal. If you have a 2 wire system you may get a SWM out of it with all the added equipment, witch is not bad, I did my own switch over and spent far more then what D wanted back then plus the labor I put in. About a year ago I was looking to get a new DVR and when I added it to the checkout box it came free with a free install. What I think happened is I gave them the Email address of my daughter because she was thinking about getting D, never did.

#15 ·
Wintersnow said:
Wow, I am very disappointed after calling. I got no offer for less then 199. Plus 50 for install, which we DON'T need. Not gonna happen! And if I didn't want a contract it would be 100 more.

I just said thanks and good bye. My husband isn't happy either.

Should I try and call again? I hate to leave directv, but with all the increases I just learned about plus no deal at all, I'm disappointed.
Did they offer you an HD DVR or the genie? The 299 without the agreement would sound like the upgrade to the genie. You may want to contact them one last time and see if the offers are different for a genie upgrade versus a regular HD DVR.

#17 ·
goinsleeper said:
Did they offer you an HD DVR or the genie? The 299 without the agreement would sound like the upgrade to the genie. You may want to contact them one last time and see if the offers are different for a genie upgrade versus a regular HD DVR.
$299 without an agreement is a leased HD-DVR
But yeah ask about the Genie, you may be able to get a whole lot more receiver for only a little bit more money.

#18 ·
JBv said:
$299 without an agreement is a leased HD-DVR
But yeah ask about the Genie, you may be able to get a whole lot more receiver for only a little bit more money.
I am thinking about it. I'm just not 100% sure I understand how it works.

I know it can record 5 shows at once. What I want to know is, say its recording 2 shows, and we want to watch a live show upstairs, can the kids watch a different live show downstairs?

If its recording 4 shows, my guess is we can only watch 1 live show, and it would have to be the same show upstairs and downstairs? Is that correct?

What is the cost a month for it? Also can I still have my hr24 in our bedroom, with it only costing 6 a month? I would love to get rid of that grey dvr in our living room, I hate that dvr, lol. It's so slow!

#19 ·
Wintersnow said:
I know it can record 5 shows at once. What I want to know is, say its recording 2 shows, and we want to watch a live show upstairs, can the kids watch a different live show downstairs?

If its recording 4 shows, my guess is we can only watch 1 live show, and it would have to be the same show upstairs and downstairs? Is that correct?

What is the cost a month for it? Also can I still have my hr24 in our bedroom, with it only costing 6 a month? I would love to get rid of that grey dvr in our living room, I hate that dvr, lol. It's so slow!
You don't need to get rid of your existing DVR's if you get a Genie. It's only if you choose to replace your existing receivers/DVR's with tunerless clients that you will need to worry about running out of tuners due to the fact that you are recording too many things.

So, if you keep your existing DVR's you can record up to 9 programs at a time. At the same time, you can use the Genie as a server to both of your existing DVR's simultaneously and/or use your existing DVR's as a server to either your other DVR or Genie (the HD DVR's can only be a server to one other TV at a time, the Genie can serve up to 3 other TV's at at time).

If you go with the Genie and utilize the Whole Home DVR service, your monthly fee will go up by $9 per month ($6 for the additional receiver and $3 for the Whole Home Service). If you get the Genie and 2 clients, the price will also go up by $9 per month).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.