1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about HR21 and RF

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by TomCat, Jul 28, 2012.

1. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I am new to the HR21; just got a HR20 replaced last week.

Try as I might, I can't get it to go into RF mode (this following instructions on the GUI).

What gives? Does the HR21 not support the RF mode?

They also sent (independently) a new white remote, I think it is a "65C" model, if memory serves.

Could it be the remote itself?

2. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    The HR21 definitely supports RF...and no external antenna needed. Is your remote an RC65R remote? (I believe the current ones being sent out are RC65R, RC65RX, and RC65RBX)
    If it has an R after the model number and an FCC label on the back it's an RF remote. The RC65 and RC65X are not RF remotes.

3. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    Thanks JB. That's probably it; I don't remember seeing an FCC label and it is probably a RC65x (have to check when I get home). Really valuable info; I owe you.

I think this means I will be buying a new remote; RF is reaally t*ts; I can be slobbering on a rack of ribs and lean over and press a button on the remote laying on the table with my one non-greasy pinky finger and change channels; I don't have to pick it up and aim it like a Glock :D.

4. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    All of the current RF remotes DirecTV sends out are backlit too. For $25 you can't beat that.

5. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Did you send back your'e old remote? If not that will work.

6. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    Finding backlit RFs on the internet for as low as $8. Since colored buttons are going away, I think I'll get a few. They'll have to kill them in an up rev to affect me.

But no, although the remote they sent me was "sent out currently", it turned out not to be an RF remote, nor was it backlit. (bastids!)

7. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    RCxx R [RF] B [backlit] X [auto program for TV]
    RCxx [nothing] is IR only