1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about my Sony FB Wega Trinitron 32..

Discussion in 'High Definition Displays' started by Italfra1, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Italfra1

Italfra1 Godfather

Dec 22, 2005
    Guys, I was recently given a barely used Sony FB Wega Trinitron 32 inch flatscreen tv. It's a 2002 and the model is KV-32HS500. This thing is huge but it's better than the standard def tv that was in my bedroom.

I have the sony hooked up in the bedroom through my HD Directv HR20-700 box. I'm running a cable from the HDMI output on the directv reciever to the HDMI/DVI input on the Sony. Everyone I talked to said it's the best video I can get. Better than Component, S Video.

Here's my question? I have the directv box set to 1080i & 16.9 and the tv is set up for 16.9. But the annoying black bars just won't go away. They are on the top and bottom of the screen. Seems like the only way they will go away is if I drop down to 480i and then I'm able to stretch or fill the screen, but it's all stretched out and looks weird.

I even talked to a Sony customer service person and they didn't seem to be much help. It's a fantastic picture quality. I just wish I could fill the entire screen with video and lose the black bars.

Anyone have this tv and figure out a way to get rid of them. Thanks.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would go into Sony Service Menu and stretch your picture since the TV is dedicated to the DVR.
    Just get some static picture with a circle [in a middle] to keep a proper ratio while changing the settings.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Does it do this on all channels ?

Have you cycled thru the "Formats" using the Format button on the remote to see if you can make it fit ?

Is the TV set to Auto for Auto Detecting the 16:9 format ? This is settable in the video section of setup.

Page 73 of your manual.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Because that model is a 4:3 CRT and you're telling the HR20 that it is a 16:9 screen, you're getting exactly what you asked for.

You will likely benefit from using the "native" setting as opposed to the 1080i setting. Note that you may have to disable the 720p mode given the antiquity of the TV.

You should never expect to lose the top and bottom bars on HD channels (or channels that have the bars built-in as many of the SD channels now do).

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    For this model from the literature sheet.

Hi-Scan 1080i™ Display Sony’s Hi-Scan1080i™ TV’s accept
    the full 1080 interlaced scanning lines (1080i) or 720 progressive
    scan (720p) from an external HDTV receiver or a compatible high
    definition digital satellite receiver. It also accepts 480 progressive
    (480p) scanning lines from compatible DVD video sources.

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    From the picture of the set it appears to be 4:3 shape as previously posted by Harsh.
    Edit: Your screen is 26" wide and 19-1/2" tall. Definitely a 4:3 shape.

You should still be able to get the picture to fit the width, undistorted, and possibly have bars at the top and bottom.

7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    This is where setting the HR20 to native mode may help.

8. Italfra1

Italfra1 Godfather

Dec 22, 2005
    Not sure exactly what you mean by service menu. I've been through all the settings in the main menu. Not exactly sure how to access the service menu. Sounds like something you need a code to access. I'm away for a few days but will look into this when I return. Thanks..

9. Italfra1

Italfra1 Godfather

Dec 22, 2005
    Yes, I've cycled through all formats on both Sony remote and directv remote and still have the black bars. No format fills the screen. I also have the TV set up for auto detecting 16.9 in the video section of the tv as shown on page 73. Yes, black bars on all channels..

10. Italfra1

Italfra1 Godfather

Dec 22, 2005
    I guess I'll try switching from Native off to Native on in the DVR settings and trying a few things you've mentioned. I understand what your saying. I was really hoping to get the highest quality video like 1080i without the black bars. Just haven't figured out how just yet. Doesn't it take longer to find the picture in Native on? Seems like it cycles around with all these flashes and weird screens until it finds it. My big Samsung has always been set to Native off.

11. Italfra1

Italfra1 Godfather

Dec 22, 2005
    I agree it's the 4.3 shape but I thought I would get full screen video in 1080i. I'll continue to work on this when I return in a few days. Driving me crazy that that huge screen is filled with hd video. Big black bars driving me crazy. Not as annoying when you watch tv in the dark at night. I'll report back when I get it full screen display.

12. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    From the Crutcfield page It IS a 4:3 display on any 16:9 material it will display the full width of the picture and full height but to fit the 16:9 image completely in the 4:3 frame THERE WILL BE BLACK BARS TOP AND BOTTOM. THIS IS UNAVOIDABLE WHEN DISPLAYING THE COMPLETE UNMODIFIED IMAGE!

IF seeing the complete image is not important then zoom may fill the entire screen but you will lose image from both sides of the picture.

A Crop format can also fill the screen but again you will lose the content from the sides. (as well as image detail). To have a full screen with full display try the TV set as is to auto scale the HD and set the HR20 to "CROP" this will crop off the top and bottom and also the sides. Should rid you of the black bars. Also set the HR20 for the 4:3 display.

I get the annoyance, this is why I really need to be interested in a show that is 4:3 format to even consider watching it. (the side black bars annoy me).

You can if you so choose exclude the HD channels from that HR20 and just watch SD which will have screen filling 4:3 images. The images will be incomplete however as some picture from both sides is cut off to fit the 4:3 display.

There is no way to enjoy a full un modified HD 16:9 image on your 4:3 display without having the upper and lower black bars.

Don "the price you pay for free" Biolton

13. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    First, it's not a huge screen, it's a 32" display.

Second, how do you expect to watch a 16:9 program on a 4:3 display without black bars? In order to do so, you'd either have to cut off the sides of the picture or stretch the picture. Neither of which should be acceptable.

The black bars are supposed to be there.

14. Italfra1

Italfra1 Godfather

Dec 22, 2005
    Pretty sure you've hit it right on the head. It's a 4.3 display so there's really no way around the black bars on 16.9 programming. Unless you crop or stretch the picture, which I have never been a fan of. I'll live with the black bars. It's a bedroom tv so no big deal. When I'm ready I'll replace it with a 16.9 set.

Really nice picture for an older Sony.

15. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    Had one of these years ago.

Picture is outstanding for a crt.

Sadly, you will have to live within the parameters of 4:3.

Component supplies a very good picture also, if I remember correctly.

Was a monster/although excellent picture until it developed the infamous "7 blinks of death". Sony had issues with capacitors in these. There is lots of info on these at avs forum.

good luck!

16. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I had a 36" and a 40" (500 pounds) Sony HD Trinitrons. What you're seeing is normal. As long as you feed it an HD signal you're not gonna fill up that screen. BTW, I had to use component wires on each of them, they would not work correctly with the HR20-700s. Got rid of both those monsters.

Took 3 guys to get that 40" monster up six stairs.

Rich

17. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    The 36" sets were around 200lbs back in the day, and the 40" ones were about 325, but maybe they felt like 500 lbs, Rich :lol:

18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    He has GOLD HDTV that time, that's why it was so heavy :D

19. Italfra1

Italfra1 Godfather

Dec 22, 2005
    We're watching it in 480p original format with Native On and it fills the screen. Obviously not the same quality as 1080i but I don't have to look at the black bars and it's still a great picture. It's still great HD quality just not in 1080i and it really doesn't look that distorted at all.

I put my flat screen samsung in the living room on the same exact channel that I was watching on the Sony Trinitron and paused them both to see exactly how much video was being cut off and it was very minimal. I'll just leave it set at 480p for now because my wife couldn't care less about 1080i and when I want to watch something I can set it back to 1080i. The tv didn't cost me a dime so when I find someone giving away a 16.9 aspect HDTV I'll grab it and get rid of this boat anchor.

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    you forgot how much you pay now for kW/hrs sucking by the big TV ;)