1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about "new" local channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Tiger62, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Tiger62

Tiger62 Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Local channels have never been available in my area (Auburn, AL), but according to posts in another thread, they will be on or about 10/27/2010 (Montgomery,AL and Columbus, GA). Will I need to contact D* to get them or will they appear automatically on my equipment?

2. JB292

JB292 AllStar

Apr 24, 2009
    You will get them from one location only. Should be automatic.

Congrats on the #1 ranking, enjoy it until Thanksgiving weekend! RT

3. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    As long as you have a slimline dish with either the 3 or 5 LNB and you have one or more of the following receivers you'll be all set:
    R22
    H2x
    HR2x

Any sony, rca, hughes, tivo, D10,11,12s or R15s will continue to work, but won't get the new locals.

4. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    What am I missing here? Why would he get one channel? Why would it be added automatically? Is he in a MPEG4 only market?

5. bigjoelee

bigjoelee Legend

Aug 19, 2008
    He was saying he will get either Columbus locals or Montgomery locals but not the same stations from the different markets at the same time. Like fox from Columbus and the fox from Montgomery but he can get a whole set but no duplicates.
    Joe

6. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    Good to see you post again!

War Eagle, Go CAM!

If all goes well Columbus/Auburn/Opelika locals should just appear about 5 or 6 AM 10/27/2010.

Check for updates to see what went active, Up to 8 new markets tomorrow. Some may be another week.

If others in Columbus are active and yours are not, go to Directv web site and "refresh" services. that should light them up.

I know many in AU glad this time is near.

Doctor j

7. Tiger62

Tiger62 Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    The Columbus locals are showing up in the guide in Auburn but tuning to them produces the "Channel not purchased" message. I red-button reset one receiver and it made no difference. The D* website still says "No Locals" for my zipcode (36830). Do I just need more patience or is there something I can DO?

8. TomK

TomK Godfather

Oct 18, 2010

Have you tried the link at directv.com/resend ? I would post the actual url but I don't have enough posts to be able to do that.

9. bamaweather

bamaweather Icon

Jan 18, 2009
    If a reset doesn't work, you need to make sure your package includes locals. Call DirecTV and tell them you want to add local channels.

10. Eddie L.

Eddie L. Legend

Jul 6, 2007
    You have to call D* and get them to add them to your package. You are most likely on one of their "No Locals" packages, because locals have not previously been available to you. They are not free, which is why you are receiving the "Channel not purchased" message when you tune to a local channel on your guide.

11. Tiger62

Tiger62 Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    My current package is Choice Extra HD-DVR and is supposed to include Locals (which we didn't have until today) at no extra charge. Now that Locals are available, they're telling me that I'll have to "Upgrade" to a currently-available package in order to get the Locals!! Of course, the current packages are more expensive and do not include HD or DVR service. This is a crock of the first order!

12. eandras

eandras Godfather

Feb 15, 2007
    Call again and ask for the CSR's supervisor if you do not get the locals. If your package includes locals than they need to provide the locals to you. Remember to be pleasant and state your case. If you don't get what you are entitled too hang up and call back. When you call back and get the automated menu system just say cancel. You will be sent to retension department who have the ability to fix your account. Remember do not loose your temper if you have one. Clearly state your case and good luck.