Question about On Screen Caller ID

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by kevin86, Jun 22, 2010.

1. kevin86

kevin86 New Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Hi everyone. I would really like to get this feature up and running so that I can have on screen caller id. The only issue is, none of my receivers are near a phone jack.

My question is, if I can connect one box to a phone line will that pass the Caller ID info over the network? Meaning over my deca?

Is there any way to do this or is it you need a phone line to every box and you have no other options?

Thanks!

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    You need a phone line to each receiver.

You can use the outlet phone jacks to put an outlet near your receiver. I used that at my previous house since there was no outlet near the receiver when I used to have a Tivo many years ago.

- Merg

3. richall01

richall01 Godfather

Sep 30, 2007
    South Georgia
    Works great for me.

4. kevin86

kevin86 New Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Wow, I never even knew something like that existed. Does everyone here have a favorite outlet jack?

5. gopherscot

gopherscot Legend

Mar 25, 2002
    I have mine connected to a phone jack but only works once in awhile. I do a receiver reset and it works again for awhile. Been talking with my dealer and he has said that the HR24's have had problems with Qwest.... mmm ok whatever. Anybody else have this problem?

6. beckp

beckp Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    I have the same issue, first with my HR20-100 and now with my new HR24 ...seems to only work once in a while. I'm with Verizon land line service.

7. gilviv

gilviv Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    Miami, FL. USA
    My HR20-100 stops showing the calls coming in every once and a while then starts after a reset to work for few months, then.... you get the picture.:rolleyes: It has been suggested that this may be due to a grounding problem, but in my case grounding has been ruled out. On several occasions D* techs have hinted that they know this to be an issue with several STBs and their firmware. Nothing for sure.:nono:

8. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I've never had a problem with Caller ID not working.

As for the wireless jack, I had something similar to this...

[​IMG]

RCA RC926 Wireless Phone Jack

- Merg

9. johns70

johns70 Legend

May 2, 2010
    I don't have a phone line connected to mine and it shows who is calling when the phone rings. I have the internet connected to it, qwest landline, and a qwest app on the dvr. It works fine all the time. I can also check my qwest voicemail on the dvr.

- johns70

10. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    You happen to have the one exception to the rule, but as I undertand it, that app is not supported anymore and might not even be available anymore.

- Merg

11. gopherscot

gopherscot Legend

Mar 25, 2002
    Anybody know a quick way to remove all the calls ... was told it only holds 20 calls. I had to delete each individually and figured there must be a better way. Thanks in advance!

12. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I don't know if there is a way, but when you receive the 21st call, the first call drops off. So there really isn't a need to delete them. Unless you don't want someone to see who called you.

13. gopherscot

gopherscot Legend

Mar 25, 2002
    that makes more sense ... my dealer told me it stops at 20 ... your point makes more sense!

14. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    I have 3 HR22s that caller ID is about the only thing they do that's not annoying... I also have an HR24 that the caller ID works for a day or two then stops for a couple of weeks then works for an afternoon then stops again...

I posted elsewhere about the problem and just got the usual 'works fine on mine' from the DirecTV stock holders/employees!:D

I put the HR24 in the same spot that one of the HR22s was sitting for about 18 months with no problems with caller ID so if it is a grounding problem it only causes problems with HR24. The system is grounded correctly by-the-way.

I miss the caller ID but if I have DirecTV replace my new HR24 they may send me some other DVR.... Just paid $200 and extended my contract for 2 years just to get an HR24 and I'm not going to get stuck with 4 HR22s....:lol:

I’m sure DirecTV will eventually figure out what’s wrong and fix it. Just like they did with my 3 HR22s being so damn slow. Oh wait…

15. gopherscot

gopherscot Legend

Mar 25, 2002
    Mike ... you have the same issues as me. I do a reset and it works fine for a couple days ... then quits. Just called D* and got somebody that was clueless. Toldmeto check with Qwest. But I had E*for years with no problem.

16. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Yeah, hopefully someone at DirecTV will figure it out. My 3 HR22s continue to work fine as do my other phones with caller ID. Only the HR24 has the trouble.

I had both a Qwest POTS line and a Tmobile VOIP line - the HR24 didn't work with either. I now only have the Tmobile VOIP setup but again caller ID works fine with the HR22s and other caller ID devices just not the HR24.

Bummer....

17. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Have you guys tried turning off the notices and then turning them back on?

That works for me sometimes.

18. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Thanks - I have tried turning them off and on several times. Sometimes it will work for a while but it always stops working by the next day.

19. vroten

vroten Cool Member

Mar 8, 2010
    We used to have problems with the caller id on our receivers. We have dsl service for internet and on a whim I decided to install a dsl filter that goes on the voice line to prevent interference from the dsl in the jack of my receiver and then connected to the phone line.... problem solved. Haven't had a caller id issue with a receiver in 3+ years.

20. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    This shouldnt have been a whim. EVERY used phone jack in the house needs a DSL filter to work correctly when you have DSL broadband