1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question About Owned HR34's

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by joshjr, Dec 11, 2012.

1. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I noticed that SolidSignal has a HR34 for Commercial Use only for $429. I asked them what the difference was and was told that it is an owned unit. If those are owned, is there any reason to believe they would not be able to sell it as owned as well to someone with a residential account?

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    You'll need to have a commercial account.

3. smitbret

smitbret Legend

Mar 26, 2011
    You probably won't be able to activate it on a residential account. You could always convert to a commercial account, though. I also don't see where it is an "Owned" receiver.

4. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    To buy the Commercial one from SolidSignal yes but what I want to know is, since Solid Signal is claiming its an owned unit to the commercial account, what is to stop them from selling it to a residential account? Its all the same unit an owned is owned.

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    A commercial account is handled differently than a retail customer.

6. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I will have to ask DirecTV if they are considered owned if bought on a commercial account and also how it would be handled if they then sold it to a customer that did not have a commercial account.

7. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I realize that, I presume that when and if a commercial account is closed they sell the equipment. Would it really have to be sold to another commercial account?

8. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Most likely the contract they signed with DirecTV.

If you really have to have an owned HR34 someone is selling one in the Buy, Sell or Trade area.

And of course remember, only one HR34 per account at this time.

9. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    The RID is tagged as being commercial and won't be activated on a residential D* acct.

And you can't just convert your res account to commercial, there are specific qualifications that must be met to be qualified as a commercial account. There are features that res D* customers have that commercial customer's don't get (DVR Scheduler, managing acct online, etc).

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "I think" your first hurdle is to get SS to sell you a commercial receiver.
    Your next would be activating it on your account as not being a leased receiver.

"Generally" once a receiver is listed as owned by DirecTV, if the account is in good standing, the receiver can be activated on another account as owned, but needs a new access card.

11. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Their agreement with Directv to be able to sell their equipment is what stops them. As has been stated, you can try to convert to a commercial account but you'll pay higher monthly fees for the privilege. Personally, I think thats why they get a slightly lower price on equipment that they have to own, commercial accounts cant lease equipment IIRC.

12. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    But there is a difference between "owned" Res equipment & owned Commercial equipment.

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    And that would be?

14. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I dont think it would be hard at all to find a commercial account that would be willing to buy a HR34 if I paid for it and then let me have it after it was activated on their account. I'm not interested in doing it if it can't be done but that is what I am trying to find out. Also usually when you buy owned equipment, there is no new 2 year commitment so I am not sure a commercial account would be out anything really.

15. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    You can't "convert" your Res acct to Commercial. The only situation that would even warrant that discussion is a home-based business.

But as I stated above there are specific qualifications that must be met.

- Separate entrance & signage for the business
    - Customer foot traffic to the home
    - Services only for business use, not personal use in the home

And yes the monthly rate for commercial packages is higher because the carriage fees D* pays for those channels is higher than residential.

Commercial equipment is only able to be owned, not leased.

16. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008

The D* system tags RID's as being "commercial" or "residential". You can't swap equipment between them. So just because a receiver is "owned" it doesn't mean it can be activated on a commercial account.

17. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Im not talking about converting to a commercial account. Not even close. Never considered it. Just interested to know if commercial accounts can sell their owned equipment to residential accounts.

18. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Once again...you can't activate commercial receivers on a residential account

19. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    My response about converting to a commercial account was for a different person that stated that.

20. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I don't know the current status, as there may have been changes.
    Commercial accounts used to be a source for own receivers, and I have yet to read a post about someone not being able to activate one on a residential account, if the old account was in good standing, with nothing more than needing to buy a new access card. :shrug: