1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question about paying bill

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by weirdude2304, Jan 19, 2011.

1. weirdude2304

weirdude2304 Legend

Oct 9, 2004
    When I get my income tax here soon I am planning on paying either directv or dish network off. Probably directv because I still have the dish on my roof.
    If I pay what I owe, what will it take to get my service turned back on? I know I will need new receivers because the ones I wasn't leasing I gave to a friend who needed them.
    I won't require a deposit will I?
    Is dish network any different if I pay them off?

thank you

2. kcaudiofx

kcaudiofx Legend

Dec 26, 2009
    I am a Retailer and have seen this go both ways, actually just recently.. I had a customer in a similar situation like yourself, she decided to pay the debt off, I got to install her with NO DEPOSIT.. The next customer, he paid off his old balance, but was also required to pay a deposit.. So its really a hard call, Maybe call directv, and see what they have to say?

3. convem24

convem24 Icon

Mar 11, 2007
    I would say I agree but the issue is not so much payoff the debt but how your credit looks when they run it (again I might add). Customer ones' credit might be good enough to pass without additional deposit but customer two didn't.

4. Justin85

Justin85 Legend

Jun 16, 2010
    You owe both Dish and DirecTV money?

5. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Given that I'm betting he'll be required to pay a deposit. ;)

6. weirdude2304

weirdude2304 Legend

Oct 9, 2004
    my credit is in the crapper. I want to pay off most of my debt by april hopefully.

So it would be best to call directv and dish and see what will happen if I pay either one off?

7. blaqhauq

blaqhauq Mentor

Dec 13, 2010
    I just switched from comcast to directv and my credit suffered from a divorce, bankruptcy and my ex wife willfully had her Durango repoed (my name was also on the loan and title, stupid me). My bankruptcy was in 08. I subscribed to directv via the website and it asked for my ss# so I entered it and no deposit required. That's great but I know my credit sucks cause I lost my job from back and neck spinal surgeries so I can't work. Now my new in-laws just tried to get directv by calling in and they told her that her credit requires a security deposit. She is never 1 day late on any bills. Her house and cars are paid off. She does have credit cards but pays them off in a couple months so she has to pay very little interest on them. They paid for our wedding from a personal loan that she had no trouble getting. I told her we will try online and see if there is a different outcome. Good luck to you though. They might also take into account how much and how long you owed them money.

8. weirdude2304

weirdude2304 Legend

Oct 9, 2004
    as an aside I heard that paying your bills ahead of time is worse than not paying them because you don't have any credit apparently since you don't owe anything.
    Most credit agencies suggest you leave $5 on your accounts to keep the accounts open.

9. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    kcaudiofx,

As an installer I note that these deals sometimes get to the installation stage and then Directv will not activate them until all outstanding fees are paid + a deposit. Directv has a dart board, I am sure, to make decisions and DISH takes what is rejected, I suspect.

Here the installer gets a little trim but you, the retailer, get a real good charge back if the account fails to perform. Correct?

Joe

10. Bradcny

Bradcny AllStar

Oct 21, 2010
    I'm sure every situation is unique, but my DirecTv service was shutoff due to nonpayment. It was off for about 5 years and then I finally had the money to pay the bill. They turned me back on as if I never left.

11. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    This may have been true for some credit cards at one time, but this is almost never true any more. If you have a question on how your credit cards are reporting, get your free credit report. (Everyone is entitled to 1 free report per year, from each of the credit agencies.)

If you can pay the credit cards off each month, it is usually in your best interest to do so. You can keep a "balance" for the credit reporting agencies by just using the card every month.

12. blaqhauq

blaqhauq Mentor

Dec 13, 2010
    It's not worse, but it doesn't improve your credit either. My in-laws never paid it off in full without the first 30 days. If she charged $100.00 then she would pay it off over 4 months or less but she would have used the card so there always is a balance. It's just she needed a security deposit and she has never been 1 day late on a bill ever. An my credit is crap and I did not need a deposit. I guess I have some luck after all.

13. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Ya know,
    I knew someone from Weirton, WV. There wasn't much going on there so he left. This was before internet.

Joe

14. vandizzle80

vandizzle80 New Member

Jan 25, 2011
    i work for dtv in technical and billing, all you will have to do is pay any outstanding balance due that was written off aside from the non return fees if there are any. also if you were charged an early cancellation fee they will waive that too and just reinstate it. if you need new equiptment ask for the reconnects dept. if your account has been shut off for more than two years they will send you to sales and thats where they go by your credit i believe. as long as it is less than two years they should just install you with new equiptment as soon as balance is paid.

15. adkinsjm

adkinsjm Icon

Mar 25, 2003
    Lots of money if you look at prior posts.