1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about possible return to D* after 2 years with E*

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by vroten, Mar 27, 2013.

1. vroten

vroten Cool Member

Mar 8, 2010
    I was a long time Directv customer (10 years) who switched to Dish two years ago. My experience with Directv was good and the main reason I switched was price. I'm thinking about coming back. Just wondering after two years does Directv treat me as a new customer eligible for promotions? Customer history was good, paid on time, etc. The free Sunday Ticket is calling my name. Thanks for any insight.

2. omartinjordan

omartinjordan AllStar

Mar 25, 2013
    I would like to know your experience with dish. I thinking of switching for the same reason. My buddy went from cable back time directv and got the freebies with Sunday ticket.

3. vroten

vroten Cool Member

Mar 8, 2010
    I've been ok with Dish, but it just seems like I have more issues with their equipment. I a a dual tuner setup on a living room and bedroom tv. I am always having to reset the remote address on the bedroom remote due to interference. About 2 months into my contract with Dish I had a basic HD receiver die. It was replaced, but I've only replaced 1 Directv receiver due to failure in my previous ten years. Being on Dish's western arc my 129 signal isn't as weather proof as I'd like. Lots of outages on 129 due to rain/weather. I also like the fact that I could adjust the Dish Slimline dish myself...tougher to do with the dish dish.

It hasn't been horrible with Dish. Its just sort of like the old days with cars. You had Ford guys and you had Chevy guys. Tough to make a Chevy guy happy driving a Ford and vice versa. I've just been happier with Directv.

4. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    You qualify as a "buy back" customer and most of the they get the new customer promos

5. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    After two years they will archive your old account and you can setup as a new customer. You won't be able to leverage your tenure when you do that, just as a heads up. Whether you do a winback offer or setup service as a new customer, you will basically end up with the same thing. Try going for the winback option before aiming for a new customer setup to keep that tenured account.

6. vroten

vroten Cool Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Thanks for all the help/suggestions. I'm going to talk to a local installer tomorrow. If it all works out I am hoping to get this taken care of next week.

7. hoopsbwc34

hoopsbwc34 Legend

Aug 13, 2002
    When I switched back after being with E* 1 year, I did a winback promotion but didn't get to keep previous tenure of about 8 years. I specifically asked if I could and they said it wasn't possible. Not sure if that's true or not, just FYI.

I didn't notice that it mattered though. I still called in after my discounts ran out and they gave me a great deal, even though I was under contract and was a "new customer"

8. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    If you kept the same account then you kept the tenure. It would change the activation date of the account but you would still have the previous order history and previous payment history.

9. vroten

vroten Cool Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Well went by and talked to local installer. My install is supposed to happen this Tuesday. Fingers crossed for no issues.:)

10. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Who are you setting up the work order for installation through?