1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about recording

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by akw4572, Nov 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. akw4572

akw4572 Legend

Sep 7, 2005
    If I'm halfway through a program, and I decide I want to record the whole thing, is there anyway to do that other than to rewind all the way to the beginning and hitting the record button?

2. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    Record button, select Options, you should see "Record entire event". Or pretty close to that. If you are running behind live and the rest of the current 1/2 hour show is already in the buffer and a different show has already started, something changes in the options. You'll need to experiment (and people are watching mine and wouldn't appreciate me experimenting).

3. akw4572

akw4572 Legend

Sep 7, 2005
    Thanks for the help.

4. Mojito05

Mojito05 Cool Member

Dec 8, 2006
    I just had Dish & the ViP622 DVR installed last week. So, I'm still getting used to the different setup (I used to have Charter's Moxi DVR), but I'm not able to get the instructions above to work. Here's what I've tried (all while watching a live 1/2 show, 2-5 minutes into it):

• Record button --> Options = the "Record Entire Event" option is grayed-out

• Record button --> Options --> OK --> Stop button after a couple of minutes = recording started with when I hit the Record button (same problem I've encountered thus far)

• Back button for 1 minute --> Record button --> Options --> OK --> Stop button after a couple of minutes = recording started with when I hit the Record button
    So, the only way I could get this to work, is by using the method in the 3rd bullet - rewinding as far back as I wanted to record, and then hitting the Record button. So since I'm not familiar with everything yet, is there something I'm not trying or doing correctly?

Also, one other difference I've noticed. When you're watching a show and have any amount of time in the buffer, is there a way to keep what's in the buffer (besides recording) if you go into a menu option like "System Info" or if you view a DVR recording? Whenever I do either and exit back to the channel, the buffer has been reset. With the Moxi, it kept the buffer going - even if you went into menus or recordings. I realize that I'm comparing 2 different DVRs, so not everything is going to be the same. I'm totally fine with that, but again, just wanted to verify if it's a limitation of the receiver or its new user.

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    You need to be tuned to the channel at the beginning of the show for the "record from beginning" option to be available. If you tuned in after the clock ticked past the show start that option is gone and you will have to do the rewind and press record trick.

The "record from beginning" is good if you decide to record something after you have watched the beginning (or if you came in late while it was playing without you). It doesn't work like the "cable" option where they can refeed the beginning of the show to you and allow you to "record from beginning" on a channel you were not tuned to.

6. William

William Legend

Oct 28, 2006
    I also believe it must be less than 1 hour after starting a show also which is the limit of the temporary buffer.

7. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Correct.

8. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    If you view any previously recorded program the tuner loses the buffer of the "live" programming that you had been viewing. In general, going to Menu does not cause the buffer to be lost, however certain selectable options that may be selected within the Menu will cause a loss of the buffer because it utilizes the tuner for an operation or must disconnect the tuner. Example, Check Switch. Also, as you've discovered, System Info... which checks reception from all Sats, among other things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.