1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about SWM16 Install

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by scubajbc, Oct 11, 2011.

1. scubajbc

scubajbc Cool Member

Jul 15, 2007
    I had DirecTV come out (movers connection) to set up at the new house. (Note: Setup in my signature has not been updated.) They put up a new Slimline, ran RG6(x4) to a SWM16, then RG6(x1) to Smart Panel. in the Smart Panel they put a 8 way splitter and hooked up 4 HD DVRs and 1 HD Receiver. I have been getting some on screen messages about wiring issues.

After reading here about SWM, I can only get 8 tuners with 1 RG6 coming out of the SMW16, correct?

So, if I were to connect an RG6 to the second port on the SWM, run it directly to the room with the HD receiver, would I be able to MRV with the 4 DVRs?

2. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Each port on the SWiM-16 is capable of max. 8 tuners. If it were mine I would try and balance the legs of the SWiM-16, 5 tuners on one side and 4 on the other. You would also want to swap out the 1x8 splitter for 1x4's or 1x2's. (Make sure they are green label and unused ports are terminated.) The idea is to have as few unused openings on a splitter.

Yes DECA is passed between each leg.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    So for a temp fix, moving one unit over to the other SWiM output works, and as posted ^, using the smallest splitters needed is a "good thing", as the larger the splitter, the more signal loss you'll have to the receivers.

4. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Installers didn't count tuners. They counted receivers.

Follow the advice of the two above posts.

5. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    :nono2:

VOS, you got that training academy open yet :lol:

6. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    As others posted this will work. Personally, I'd rather have two lines from the SWM16 to the smart panel. It will make it easier should you wish to add receivers later.

7. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    I would suggest you call D* and request they return and run the second leg to your Smart panel and balance your System.

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    While doing this isn't a bad idea, it also isn't needed, since the SWiM simply doesn't give a crap as long as there aren't too many tuners on any leg.

9. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Well if the installers made one mistakes. there's a good chance they made another.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

SWM-8 - - - - - - SWM-16​

So which one is installed?

10. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Easy way to know, just touch it.
    SWM8 gets a bit warm, barely.
    SWM16 gets hot.

You can feel the difference. Assuming neither are in direct sun.

11. scubajbc

scubajbc Cool Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Actually, the new house is new construction and I had the builder pull RG6(x4) from the garage to the smart box. So it wasn't a lazy installer, He was a good installer that just one that didn't know enough about a SWM-16.

It is a SWM-16.

The SWM-16 is mounted inside the garage behind the demarcation point. It is hot to the touch; wouldn't want to hold my hand on it for more than a few seconds.

12. scubajbc

scubajbc Cool Member

Jul 15, 2007
    I have a question for an installer. Should I call DTV and say my install was wrong? Would the installer get docked for that? The installer wrote his cell number on the bottom of my copy of the work order. Should I call him and give him an opportunity to come back and not tell DTV?

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I would call the installer directly as calls to DirecTV would trigger "a hit" on his pay.

14. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Yes, especially considering he left you his phone number. If he is not responsive after you call, then you can call DirecTV.

15. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    How does that work BTW?

If an installer makes even one mistake on an install no matter the size where he (or she) or another technician has to come back out, DIRECTV issues a 100% chargeback for what the technician charged DIRECTV for the entire install?

Therefore they end up getting nothing at all for that install?

16. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    It varies depending on the location. When I was a contractor, I was charged a flat fee of $100. Even if I was paid less than that for the original job. So I would leave my number as this tech did and explain to the customer to call me if something happened in the first 90 days. I still get calls from people I installed 5 years ago, and they get mad when I tell them I can't drop what I'm doing and travel over 1000 miles to fix their issue.