Question about the local channel add on for HR54

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by SParker, Jul 25, 2019.

1. SParker

SParker Active Member

Apr 27, 2002
    Michigan
    In my area we are having a contract dispute with the NBC affiliate and DirecTV. Customer service agent is sending me a free local channel antenna hook up for the HR54. My question is will that tuner be available for the HR24 as well?

2. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Going with no. You would need a AM21 for that

3. SParker

SParker Active Member

Apr 27, 2002
    Michigan
    That's what I was afraid of I wonder if I have an old AM 21 laying around in the basement. I just checked eBay and its highway robbery!

4. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Trust me. You'll want a AM21. I have an AM21 and wanted to get the LCC because its a compact package compared to the AM21. Problem is (and check the owners thread, lots of people reporting the same issue) the LCC has constant audio drop outs. Junk. I hooked my AM21 back up. Solid as a rock.

5. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Audio drop out problem is same for both AM21 and LCC. Started about 3 years ago on AM21's and continues with LCC. It a hit or miss thing depending on channel tuned and time on the channel and it is more likely to occur on 1080i vs 720p channels.

And when football season starts, people will notice video frames dropped on fast action.

Easy cure for all issues.
    1. Record show, and playback or
    2. Press pause when problem occurs, then press Play and resume TV which is nearly live, only 1 sec delay.

Works for both LCC and AM21

6. SParker

SParker Active Member

Apr 27, 2002
    Michigan
    Are there any people selling AM 21s at a pretty reasonable price? I looked on the forum here and I don't see a buy/sell section?

7. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Depends what you consider reasonable lol. You could probably get it for around $120 or so on eBay. I have both and the issue is much more pronounced on the LCC. Hopefully they fix it, but I kind of doubt its high on DirecTVs todo list.

8. SParker

SParker Active Member

Apr 27, 2002
    Michigan
    Yikes I'm hoping I can find it still in the basement! LOL

9. ColdCase

ColdCase AllStar

Sep 10, 2007
    New England
    There are quite a few broken AM 21s out there that can be repaired. There is a thread around here somewhere. I have one in the basement that I haven't got around to fixing yet.. Since I've got s couple homeruns connected to a computer I'm not in that big of a hurry. The homerun has a better receiver and will get all the subchannels that the AIM and LCC will miss.