1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about tuner availability

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by rramacha, May 9, 2012.

1. May 9, 2012 #1 of 11
    rramacha

rramacha New Member

May 9, 2012
    Hello All

I am planning to upgrade my service and get one Hopper/ three joey's for my house.

We are just a two people household with TWO LCD's, ONE Theater Room with Projector and one Standard TV.

My question is with my set up, can we watch two different live channels in the evening when Prime Time Any Time Recording happens.

If this has been answered please accept my apology.

Sincerely thank any help I can get.

2. May 9, 2012 #2 of 11
    Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    Indeed you can.

Kevin

3. May 9, 2012 #3 of 11
    tcatdbs

tcatdbs Icon

Jul 10, 2008
    Similar question. The 4 Primetime records on one, and if I am recording 2 other non-primetime shows; can I watch one of the primetime shows from the beginning (while primetime is recording)? Can 2 TV's do this?

4. May 9, 2012 #4 of 11
    rramacha

rramacha New Member

May 9, 2012
    Thanks a ton

5. May 9, 2012 #5 of 11
    RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network New Member

Jul 21, 2011
    If you want to watch something from PTAT as it is recording you can select it from the DVR menu. You can have two other recordings going at the same time as Prime Time Anytime is recording but all three tuners will be in use.

6. May 9, 2012 #6 of 11
    oldengineer

oldengineer Godfather

May 25, 2008
    We're also a 2 person (retired) household. The wife and I have different tastes in TV watching so we may be using 2 tuners at night watching live shows. PTAT takes another so there's no way to record anything else. There are lots of posts about 1H/3J subs running out of tuners. Replacing a Joey with a Hopper is probably only a $100 upgrade and the monthly charge is the same.

7. May 9, 2012 #7 of 11
    tcatdbs

tcatdbs Icon

Jul 10, 2008
    Thanks! Same 2 person household here, but I can't see how we'd ever need more than 3 tuners. I'd say 90% of what we watch is PT, with 1 show being recorded on USA or another channel. So if we're both watching, at least one of us will be watching something on PT. A 722/211 combo has been fine for 5 years; 1 Hopper/Joey has the same tuners and much more flexible with PTAT.

If you are using all 3 tuners for recording, can 2 different TV's watch 2 different previously recorded shows?

8. May 9, 2012 #8 of 11
    njk986

njk986 Cool Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Yes, they can!

9. May 9, 2012 #9 of 11
    garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Using 722 in single mode, then 1 Hopper w/1 Joey. In dual mode, then 1 Hopper w/2 Joeys. Note: no OTA yet, if you have OTA now, may want to wait, if not, it is not an issue.

10. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    PTAT is optional. In your case it may be better to leave it turned off and set timers to record your favorite programs, as some may not be on the big 4 and conflict with PTAT.

I had PTAT enabled, but after discovering that I missed other programs on channels like FX and Discovery I turned it off and set timers.

11. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    I don't get watching live TV, except maybe for sports. Life is too short to watch commercials, and jumping around channels trying to find something to watch is a waste of time.

As others have noted, PTAT is optional. Turn it off if you don't want it. I very well might, the second on OTA tuner becomes available. There is never a time I'm interested in more than 2 OTA channels.