1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question/comments on Genie RVUs

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by rbpeirce, Aug 29, 2013.

1. rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    I had held off going this route because I understood all my TVs had to be HD. I discovered this weekend that isn't the case. My daughter has an HR34-700 and two RVUs. One goes to an SD TV.

This was my first opportunity to actually see one of these. I discovered what looked like an S-Video output that split into a R/W/Y RCA set that plugged into the SD TV. That answered one question.

Then I noticed there were two HDMI sockets. Does this mean an RVU can send its signal to two TVs at once? That would be great because I have a situation where I would like to do that. If that isn't the case, why two ports?

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    The Genie clients have a special adapter cable that can be used to connect to RCA connections. Here is a link to the composite cable at Solid Signal. There is also one for a component cable.

As for two HDMI ports, there should only be one. There is also a USB port on the clients that is not currently used. If you want to use one client for two TV's, you will need a powered HDMI splitter and run two HDMI cables from the splitter. It should be a powered version as it will prevent HDCP issues. People have had good success with one from Monoprice.com, although I don't recall which one specifically.

- Merg

3. rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    I didn't think it was like any other S-Video cable I had seen, but it does work, which I didn't know.

You are correct on the ports. I was kind of looking in the dark and it looked like two HDMI ports. I couldn't imagine why it might be something else so I didn't dig in enough.

Thanks for the tip on the powered HDMI splitter. I use Monoprice all the time so I will check it out there.