1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question: EPG

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by -, Apr 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guest

Hi-

I've currently got a 4900 JVC reciever. Its working out fine. Now, I'm getting a 501 soon. I've read that it stores 9 days of guides on its hard drive. GREAT! Now, is there any way to make the 4900 download hte next 48 hours on its hard drive? It seems like every time I press the guide button it has to download!!!

Now, dn is better than cable, but at least with cable I didn't have to wait ages each time I wanted the PG!

2. EricG

EricG Godfather

Mar 28, 2002
    The 4900 is not a PVR and has no hard drive. :(

3. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    At the moment, the receivers are holding a lot of program guide information. Even the 301s are only holding about 2 hours of program guide infomation.

Gee, you would think that they could code the EPG information so that if it's not usefyl (ie OOM station not receivable), it gets send to /dev/null .

4. Guest

so, basically, theres not way to fix it? I realize the 4900s don't have an internal HD. But isn't there a way for them to keep the entire guide for, say those 48 hours?

Could an upgrade do anything?

5. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    Nope theres only so much memory in the units. Hopefully you should see a little improvement when the spot beams are up, hopefully the software will be smart enough to "throw away" the channels which you do not subscribe to.

I have a Dish 6000 which is one of Dishes later models, and it has the same problem. At least the 4900 has OpenTV, the 6000 does not even though its got a big OpenTV logo printed on the unit.

6. Guest

too lazy to click that register link in my spam email box. :)

Its not that bad, I guess. I mean, I'll be getting a pvr 501 on monday of next week. . . how does that work? Is it better/worse than the 4900?

Basically, the 4900 will be put to use so I can capture video into my computer and for the 2nd tv. . .

7. DarrellP

DarrellP Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    Dish needs to program their EPG's so it discards any info that is not in either 1) Your current Favorites or 2) All subscribed.

Same applies to themes. How useful is it to see garbage you can't get anyway? On my 501 I use Themes a lot for movies and since there is a 500 hit limit, it usually won't even go out 24 hours.

8. Guest

Why doesn't DISH design their receivers with more memory capabilities. They knew from the very onset that they would be capable of as they say 500 channels. I subscribe to the Everything pack. Do they only expect subscribers to only subscribe to minimum packages only.
    I feel that the receivers should be able to search into the future time at LEAST 8 - 12 HOURS. without having to download again and again repeatedly.
    That if the picture in the Guide doesn't work any better than it does, they should take that and the interactive sh-t away with it so the receiver will have the memory to change channels correctly without freezing up. DUH!
    They also knew that the 3800 and 4700 receivers and their counterparts 3900- 4900 receivers would be able to receive their DISH HOME and DISH INTERACTIVE downgrade.

I sure hope that if the merger is allowed that the first thing that they do is replace the 4700/4900 receivers with something or ANYTHING that works.
    I don't like the 1 to 1 1/2 hour capability of the DISH EPG the way it is now.

I do believe that if the merger does not take place that I will defect as you say to DTV. If the merger does take place the European company recently discussed is certainly going to be an option.

The only thing that I do want is receivers that work.

I am tired of the daily resets , hard reboots, switch tests, signal strength checks, the blue screen of death and the lime green slate being received that I now have to go through.

DAILY X 4 OR 5 = AGGRAVATION

I've read here and in other forums that DISH people visit and read the forums here. I wish that someone who is from DISH who would do something about the problems would start reading these forums.

DISH personnel are either the biggest and best liars on the face of the planet or they lead a very sheltered life. Meaning that when you point out a problem to them they act like it is the first and only time that they have ever heard this.
    I actually thought that maybe the merger would be a good thing when I first heard of the news. Now I almost dread to see what kind of FUBAR they will come up with next.

I would like to see someone at DISH to take this as constructive criticism and try to make things better.
    I will not even recommend DISH to anybody and haven't done so for a long time now.

9. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Ahem.

I have 7 full days EPG on both my DPs. Call me if you want to know what's playing ...say, next Friday. :D :D :D

Nick :smoking:

10. Guest

shut the hell up NICK

11. DarrellP

DarrellP Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    They should at least make them RAM upgradeable like a PC.

Just a trick you can try. Tune to the History channel, ch 120 then hit the EPG and your guide will fill in faster. Also, as you are going out the guide, if you go slowly and hit Info as you are going, it gives the guide time to update as you move out. I have successfully gone out 20 hours without forcing a download with my 6000.

12. minnow

minnow Legend

Apr 25, 2002

13. mattb

mattb Legend

Apr 29, 2002
    I like my 4900, I really dont notice much a beef with the guide.. Im sure they will come out with something better down the road...

14. andrzejpw

andrzejpw AllStar

Apr 23, 2002
    Ok, just recieved my 501 today. 9 days, I believe? :p

My 4900 is now capping shows. . .

15. pmichael

pmichael Legend

Mar 25, 2002
    While I like my 301 receivers generally, I agree the useability of the program guide would be greatly improved if at least six hours of programming could be retained at any one time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.