Question for Amazing Race Contest participants

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Danny R, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    Nobody has complained about this, but I was wondering if people playing think the questions I use for Detours in the contest are too spoilerish.

For instance by participating this past week, you would know that this week the contestants went to Sweden, and could likely guess that they visited IKEA and the Ice Bar.

Likewise once you see the questions for this week, you'll know two of the locations the teams will visit in the upcoming episode.

Based on comments I had last season, many of you enjoyed this, as you sort of felt as if you knew something about the places in the show and it made the experience a bit more interactive.

I was just wondering if that feeling still existed, or if folks would rather things be a bit less informative. Perhaps there are some who would want to participate but refrain because they feel the questions are too spoilerish.

At worst, I can always gear questions so they reflect the events of the past week's show rather than the future episode.

Or alternatively can cover the questions up so that NO DETOUR folks can still play but not risk having the episode spoiled somewhat.

Just asking for feedback...

2. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    A detour is a choice between two tasks, each with their pros and cons. Players have to choose between 'Future Episode' or 'Past Episode'.

In 'Future Episode', players have to find the answer to a question based upon the next episode of the Amazing Race.

In 'Past Episode', players have to find the answer to a question based upon a past episode of the Amazing Race.

Players won't know in advance how many questions they have to answer to complete the detour.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Oh, yeah. Keep up the good work. The contest is certainly more interesting than the current season of Survivor.

3. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    I am avidly anti-spoiler, as I've posted before. I don't even watch the previews, or the "next week on", because they ruin too much information.

Having said this, I have had no problems with the questions you posed. Where they go is of only momentary interest to me, usually. What interests me about the show is what the challenges are, how they choose to handle them, and the interactions within (and sometimes, between) the teams. You don't reveal anything about what they do, just where they do it.

Also, I don't assume that just because you ask about the Ice Bar, that they're going there. I figure they're going to Sweden, and you found something interesting about Sweden, and that's that. If they happen to coincide, fine. If not, also fine. No prob.

4. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    I'd agree with Saulres. I really don't care about knowing about spoilers as I do sometimes visit those forums. I don't think that the detour questions are particularly spoiling even though they may give away a future location (or country). I know the opening credits even show the icebar briefly.

As long as the questions are not very specific to what the teams might be doing, or ask detailed questions about something that would be covered in a spoiler forum, I think it's fine.

The spoilers for this season have been quite un-spoiling so far from what I've seen anyways. Some of the locations are known, but not a whole heck of a lot more. Most of it is just extrapolating from previews released by CBS...and I don't consider those spoilers.

5. bgilmore

bgilmore Cool Member

Feb 12, 2003
    I do not mind the questions, keep up the great work.
    Billy

6. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    I'd also like to see harder questions for the detours. It seemed like the questions last season were harder to find. I particularly liked the first question last year where we had to find the best times to get between two point (if I remember correctly, from Alanta to the Santa Monica Pier. That required us to look at bus, air, and subway schedules at a variety of places. It wasn't just as easy as plugging a correctly worded search phrase into google and copying the result.

7. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Gotta disagree with you there, cdru. The less time I have to spend to play, the more likely I'll be able to find time to play. Things are tougher for me time-wise this year, and I appreciate ones that if you figure out correctly and Google, you get to the answer with just a little bit of work.

8. mwgiii

mwgiii Gaming Guru and Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    No problem with the questions.

Keep up the good work.

9. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    I'd also like to see harder questions for the detours.

The problem is that its rather difficult for me to judge how hard it is to find an answer, since I already know where to look.

I particularly liked the first question last year where we had to find the best times to get between two point (if I remember correctly, from Alanta to the Santa Monica Pier.

There will be a couple of questions in the future where there are multiple answers, but the BEST answers will be graded as better.

As for the route type questions, unfortunately I have trouble finding the answers to such questions myself for foreign travel.