1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for D* installers...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Azalo, May 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 2, 2007 #1 of 39
    Azalo

Azalo Legend

Oct 24, 2006
    Or someone with similar experience.

Will installers typically install an antenna for you while they are on the roof installing the dish? I assume they would charge a fee if they did it at all but was just wondering if this is a fairly standard practice.

2. May 2, 2007 #2 of 39
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    It is part of the work order form DirecTV... then yes.

Else, some installers will do it for a fee

3. May 2, 2007 #3 of 39
    Mark20

Mark20 Godfather

Dec 24, 2006
    For a few extra $$$ they may be more than happy to do it.

4. May 2, 2007 #4 of 39
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I think it would help to have the antenna & mounting hardware there for them to install.

5. May 2, 2007 #5 of 39
    joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    GO to antennaweb.org

You will be able to size the correct antenna for your address. For real close to the analog sources I like the Square shooter......Looks like a square DTV dish.
    Or, there are there "clip on"s that may work on your dish. Depends on how far you are from the analog TV folks.

Joe

6. May 3, 2007 #6 of 39
    henree

henree Mentor

Sep 13, 2006
    Have you gotten a Antenna installed for free before while someone is installing a dish? I dont thinks its just installing an antenna, the wire has to be routed and fastened? so i dont think any nice tech would do it for free, i wouldnd.

7. May 4, 2007 #7 of 39
    ericpd

ericpd Mentor

Apr 25, 2007
    Got a related question. Scheduled for my DirecTV install tomorrow (05/05). I currently have an OTA mounted on my DishNetwork support. I'm hoping they will be able to just remove the old DishNetwork stuff and replace it with the new DirecTV Slimline dish and hardware (no new hole punched in my roof). I'm just hoping they will re-aim the OTA so that it works properly after the finish the swap. I assume that they will get rid of the old stuff after they're finished. What should I expect relating to this on this install? Thanks!

8. May 4, 2007 #8 of 39
    raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    Don't expect the Slimline to fit on the same pole as your old Dishnet setup. I think they are different. The installer will have to put new holes for the new foot for the new pole. NEW NEW NEW!:D Sorry, I couldn't resist. Anyway, the old and new setups are not compatible.

9. May 4, 2007 #9 of 39
    ericpd

ericpd Mentor

Apr 25, 2007
    Thanks Raoul,... I was fearing that. I guess I'll just have to make sure he seals the new setup tight. The Dish installers did a terrible job and I had to have someone come in and seal their work to stop the leaks.

So now the real question is,... will they put my OTA on their pole and re-aim it! All this stuff as got to go in the general area of my roof. I'm not allowed to mount it on the ground or in a spot where it's visible from the front of the house (HOA).

10. henree

henree Mentor

Sep 13, 2006
    Why not purchase a NPR TRAY (non penantrating roof mount), it will set you back less than a hundred, but you will be trouble free of new holes on your roof that could cause leaks. if you go this route, make sure to call directv and add notes to the work order that you need it, but it maybe to late since your scheduled for tomorrow....

11. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Me personally? No..

My neighboor... Yes, and it was part of the work order.

12. henree

henree Mentor

Sep 13, 2006
    Yeah if its part of the work order then the custumer paid a one time fee of 50 dollars for it when signing up for direct tv. then that is when its include in the work order, but i dont believe its ever free.

13. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    They have had promotions where it was included...

14. Ext 721

Ext 721 Icon

Feb 26, 2007
    if the OTA's diplexed (extremely likely) then the OTA's gonna need a total rework for a 5-sat dish, with a seperate cable run or runs.

so far as the dish, it still uses a different mounting bracket (new holes in roof)

15. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    What they do with your OTA will depend on a number of factors:
    • Do they offer locals in your area (your chances are best if they don't)?
    • Is your OTA wired independently or does it use the existing Dish Network wiring via diplexers?
    • Will they need/want to do a ground pole mount?
    • Is your antenna a clip-on that will not work with the new DirecTV setup?
    If you're getting more than one receiver, they'll probably have to run more cables for the satellite dish. The satellite cables cannot be used for OTA as Ext 721 points out, so OTA will need an independent distribution system.

16. ericpd

ericpd Mentor

Apr 25, 2007
    Oh man,... sounds like a headache coming. When I had Voom installed way back, they put up my first OTA. When Voom imploded, I had DishNetwork come in and they put up the current one I have. They said it was a much better peice. And since I still needed the old Voom dish in addition to the DishNetwork dish, they just swapped it on the Voom staff. Now I won't need two dishes on the roof, but I still want my OTA.

17. Skip Towne

Skip Towne Godfather

Dec 20, 2003
    I am reluctant to install OTA's because the quality of the reception varies greatly from location to location. If the reception isn't good, the customer doesn't want to pay me.

18. ericpd

ericpd Mentor

Apr 25, 2007
    It's funny you said that! The OTA I got with the Voom package didn't do a very good job,... the signal kept popping in and out. When I switched to Dish, thinking I would continue to get a large chunk of the Voom HD channels (NOT), a part of their promo for ex-Voomers was a better OTA. While it did a better job with signal strength,,.. the number of channels decreased. Yep,... better reception, and fewer channels. Oh well, never could understand that one.

Well, it's 1:00 a.m., and a few hours before my install. You'd think someone who's clocked a lot of years with sat TV would be going through this kinda anticipation. But it's not far away from Xmas Eve when I was twelve. Well not quite that bad, but I am sorta "can't wait"!

Thanks everyone for your responses!

19. JFHughes08088

JFHughes08088 Godfather

Mar 24, 2007
    Back to your install question, thet will remove the old post your existing dish sits on but leave the base plate secured to the roof. This way, they are not removing, then reinserting bolts through your shingles, etc. The new dish install will be in the same general location with all new stuff.

20. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    They MAY leave the old pole with the old base plate, I have seen it done this way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.