1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for fellow PS3 owners

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by trdrjeff, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Jan 5, 2009 #1 of 17
    trdrjeff

trdrjeff Icon

Dec 3, 2007
    I was surprised to get one for Christmas and am loving it so far :D

Anywho my question for you fellow DirecTV folks is about the sound levels through my audio receiver. When I switch over from my HR20 to play something or watch a movie the PS3 output levels seem to be about twice that of the HR20 (both through optical).

Just curious if this is standard and if anyone knows a way to tone down the output of the PS3. I tried finding something in that extensive PS3 settings but never found anything.

Thanks

2. Jan 5, 2009 #2 of 17
    VandyCWG

VandyCWG Godfather

Dec 18, 2006
    I have never noticed this problem when switching...

Couple of questions though, are they both through HDMI? If not, what type of audio cables? Digital Audio? etc?

That might be more helpful.

Both my HR2* and my PS3 run through HDMI into my Sony Recevier.

3. Jan 5, 2009 #3 of 17
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas

I have not experienced that either. I have my PS3 and HR20 sent to my receiver via optical (as well as another DVD player and VCR) and the sound levels are about the same.

If anything, when watching a Blu Ray via the PS3, the overall level is a bit lower

4. Jan 5, 2009 #4 of 17
    trdrjeff

trdrjeff Icon

Dec 3, 2007
    I have the HR20 by HDMI and the PS3 by Component (till I get another HDMI cable), BUT they are both connected to the audio receiver/Amp by an Optical Cable.

It's a Yamaha Receiver/Amp.

5. Jan 5, 2009 #5 of 17
    VandyCWG

VandyCWG Godfather

Dec 18, 2006
    I missed the optical connection part...dang!

6. Jan 5, 2009 #6 of 17
    spoonman

spoonman Icon

Feb 21, 2007
    I have this issue with one of my TVs when I have the PS3 hook to it. The TVs are fine maybe a little louder...

7. Jan 5, 2009 #7 of 17
    trdrjeff

trdrjeff Icon

Dec 3, 2007
    interesting...I'm going to swap the inputs and see if its an amp issue.

8. Jan 5, 2009 #8 of 17
    Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    When playing DVDs and BDs (and other media I believe) you can adjust the audio output levels on the PS3.

I don't know if it affects the other audio sources from the PS3 or not.

Peace,
    Tom

9. Jan 5, 2009 #9 of 17
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Yes, you can Tom, but that's not the default. Maybe something got adjusted inadvertently with the OP's system. Here's an explanation as to why most people find the volume lower with the PS3 and directions on how to boost (or in the OP's case, lower) the audio:

The audio level being output from your AVR for the PS3's LPCM input is typically lower than what the AVR is outputting after decoding the bitstream received from the standalone BD player. Even slightly louder audio will sound better to most listeners. You can increase the audio level from the PS3 when playing BDs by pressing the key on on the PS3 controller, or remote, with the triangle icon and from the 'control panel' that is displayed selecting the icon that looks like a speaker. Try increasing the volume level by just one or two increments and see if this helps. However, increasing the audio volume too much using this PS3 control can result in distortion in the loudest passages so don't increase the volume level more than necessary. Alternaively you can just increase the volume level on the AVR a little to produce a level equal to what you have heard when using a standalone player.

10. 21hawk

21hawk Legend

Nov 15, 2006
    The Yamaha receiver may allow you to set volume trim for the PS3 input, mine does.

11. Rakul

Rakul Slacker

Sep 3, 2007
    I have a pretty basic Sony receiver, both my Xbox 360 and PS3 are twice as load as my two HR20s. All via optical.

12. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    My PS3 is louder than my HR22 but the PS3 is optical and the HR22 is just plain ol' rca cables, so that might be why one is louder than the other.

13. mitchelljd

mitchelljd Legend

Aug 16, 2006
    if you use hdmi on both then i dont think there will be a sound level issue. i have both as well.

14. JMII

JMII Legend

Jan 19, 2008
    South Florida
    I have an HR20 and a PS3 both connected via optical to a Panny XR55 and they both sound about the same. However the volume on various TV channels is all over the place, for example my local FOX station is down about 8dB compared to CBS or ABC so its hard to get a frame of reference. As mentioned by other the PS3 does have an audio trim setting so I would check that for sure.

15. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    Ihve the PS3 connected by HDMI/optical and the HR20 HDMI/optical via an RF to optical converter. The PS3 sound level is lower for GTA IV, about the same for movies.

16. judson_west

judson_west Godfather

Jun 15, 2006
    My PS3 is louder than my HR20 and both are connected via HDMI through a Sony A/V receiver.

17. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    My Pioneer has input leveling that you can use for this case to compensate for different input levels. Perhaps the Yamaha does too.

I still find a wide range in the volume levels among the DirecTV channels though, so it's still problematic to find a satisfactory volume level when using the AV receiver.