1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for those who switched to streaming...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Citivas, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Oct 14, 2018 #1 of 161
    Citivas

Citivas Godfather

Oct 25, 2006
    I see some posts that suggest some of you have made the switch to streaming. A couple questions for those who have:

So far I've tried the DirecTV Now service and the YouTubeTV service and I've researched the other. I'm having trouble finding any that my wife is comfortable with in terms of transition from our current 3 x DVR boxes. Specifically, none seem to have robust Cloud DVR features. For example,

1) Besides the extremely small limit on DVR capacity on DirecTV Now, I can't find any way to manage the DVR recordings other than manual deletion. Given the very small hour limit, this seems even more important than it would have been on the physical DVR's in our house. If you setup a bunch of shows, it's hitting the limit in days. With the regular DVR's I can define how many episode to keep per show, which shows not to delete, etc. Any way to do this on the Cloud DVR? And if not, how do you prevent losing episodes you want to keep in favor of deleting junk you don't need (like yesterday's news), shortly of going in every day and managing it manually?

2) All the services seem to delete programs from your DVR, capacity or not, too soon. We often record an entire season or more of a show that's a low priority then binge watch it in the summer, for example. It seems like we would be missing earlier episodes with DTV Now or it's competitors.

3) Last we checked, we still couldn't get the DTV Now app on several of our TV's and streaming devices. Is it available yet on all the Roku's? What about LG and Samsung TV Smart TV's? I have no interest in buying new streaming devices to use it.

Thanks.

2. Oct 14, 2018 #2 of 161
    WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    In your #2 statement based on your viewing habbits then streaming service is not for your family as a only choice.

jimmie57 likes this.
  3. Oct 14, 2018 #3 of 161
    Citivas

Citivas Godfather

Oct 25, 2006
    That's what I was afraid of. It's disappointing this far into the development of these services and with so much competition that none can match the basic features of old-fashioned services. I just checked my DirecTV Now account, for example, and it's only saved the recording of the last episode of the season of Elementary. It also allows me to still stream from its catalogue the second to last episode. By comparison, I still have 10 episodes to get through on my physical DVR. If I didn't have it, I would be SOL on the other 8 episodes unless I waited at least a season for them to snow up on other streaming services as last years season. And even that will get harder as every major company is going the way of its own subscription services -- so I would have to separately subscribe to the CBS service and soon the Disney/ABC service, etc.

I don't understand why DirecTV cannot at least offer more capacity on the Cloud DVR and the basic abilities that have existed for 20 years of DVR's to limit how many episodes it saves per show, etc.

4. Oct 14, 2018 #4 of 161
    Citivas

Citivas Godfather

Oct 25, 2006
    It's weird. On the latest DirecTV Now interface, I can't even find where my list of season passes is to edit. It shows me upcoming recording and currently saved recordings, but neither is a list of all the shows I subscribed to record. So there's no way to, for example, edit out future recordings of a series I no longer want to use of DVR space until it's at the point where it's recording new episodes of it. That seems ridiculous.

5. Oct 14, 2018 #5 of 161
    mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    Unfortunately all of the streaming services that offer cloud DVR capability either limit capacity or time. I switched to PSVue a little over 2 years ago. I like the fact that their DVR does not limit how much you can record so you don’t have to worry about managing what is being recorded or ever worry about deleting things. But, they only keep things for up to 28 days. That fits our viewing habits but sounds like it certainly wouldn’t fit yours. Net is currently streaming is simply not for everyone.

6. Oct 14, 2018 #6 of 161
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've never understood why folks that cut the cord want to replace what they had with something so similar. I've been streaming for a couple years and I see no need for a DVR or a Guide to what's on. But I've been on this path since the 90's. All I've ever wanted was what I have today. I use NF, AP, Hulu, Showtime, HBO Now, Starz, CBS All Access and several other streaming video services for series and movies. I have absolutely no need to know what's on tonight or any other night. When that content comes to those streaming services I watch the whole series then go on to the next series I want to watch. No need for a DVR. No need for a remote such as we see on D* equipment. "No need" except for sports. Have to have a DVR and a Guide for that. The remotes the streaming boxes have are not as good for watching sports as D*'s remotes. So I cannot cut the cord completely...yet.

Rich

7. Oct 14, 2018 #7 of 161
    CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    there is a reason that these "streaming" services are relatively much less expensive that the traditional services - they don't offer anywhere close to the same functionality. So if you don't record much (or watch immediately) and similar things the streaming services may be great for you. I also have this issue with several guides that I'd need to go through. Not only would I have to remember what was were but there are times we have no idea what we are going to watch and just go through the guide to find something.
    Services such as DirecTV may be expensive but the features aren't yet, duplicated in streaming services.

8. Oct 14, 2018 #8 of 161
    TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I got to have a channel numbers. How do you guys deal with not having channel numbers?

9. Oct 15, 2018 #9 of 161
    onan38

onan38 Legend

Jul 17, 2008
    I cancelled Directv Satellite and Uverse internet last week. (Internet was only 18 meg max in my area.) Went with Youtube Tv and Philo week trial had Spectrum 200 meg internet installed last week.So far so good! Still playing around and learning with the 2 services.Youtube will save recordings for 9 months unlimited space and Philo has 20 hrs before it deletes the oldest recording. Both services $56 per month.Youtube Tv will record the actual live program but can replace it with the on demand version the next day or when its released. It is a small adjustment for me so far after having Directv since 1994.Also discovered for example Tbs,Tnt apps will not let you login with Youtube Tv login but i can with my Philo login.So far picture quality has been outstanding on my 1080p tv's and (crossed fingers) No buffering at all so far. I hated leaving Directv but they couldn't get close to the price i am paying now.

tomski35 likes this.
  10. Oct 15, 2018 #10 of 161
    mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    Didn’t use them when I had DTV so didn’t miss them when I ditched DTV. If you still use/need channel numbers then streaming probably isn’t for you yet. Streaming is most definitely a paradigm shift.

11. Oct 15, 2018 #11 of 161
    TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Really? Then how did you change the channel? I use them all the time to change the channel and to also go to certain channels in the guide.

jimmie57 likes this.
  12. Oct 15, 2018 #12 of 161
    mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    Interestingly I hope the streaming services don’t try to duplicate the traditional cable/sat experience. That is not what I’m after. Certainly lots of folks do want that, which is why you will see offerings like what has been hinted at as their new OTT offering coming from DTV. But for me, my viewing habits changed which drove me to switch to streaming because it more closely matched how I watched tv. Saving money was just an added benefit. I think going forward we will see both paradigms being offered via OTT.

Rich likes this.
  13. Oct 15, 2018 #13 of 161
    mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    Back when we still had DTV we very rarely watched anything live. We watched what was on our DVR. On the rare occasion that we did watch something live we used the guide. Channel numbers really are loosing relevance. Other than cable/sat remotes most remotes don’t even have numbers on them anymore. I use Harmony universal remotes throughout my home and none of them have numbers...

14. Oct 15, 2018 #14 of 161
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    More easily than you do. No programming of DVRs, no searching for channels. No worries about equipment for the most part. It does take some time to get used to it, I'll say that. But once you get used to it streaming is just so much easier...and the PQ is better.

Rich

mjwagner likes this.
  15. Oct 15, 2018 #15 of 161
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I can't believe folks still go thru all that. You don't need a Guide as you think of a Guide. You don't need channels. You don't have to program anything.

Rich

mjwagner likes this.
  16. Oct 15, 2018 #16 of 161
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    It's so hard to explain this. We must sound like proselytizers.

Rich

mjwagner likes this.
  17. Oct 15, 2018 #17 of 161
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I just spent about 20 minutes in the Guide as I do everyday.
    I look for names I have not seen before, see what it tells me about the item, then press the record button if I think I am interested. I usually select 1 to 4 programs to record.
    Many times I know which channel I want to go to and I type in the number on the remote and it takes me directly to it.
    I definitely like the Guide.

TheRatPatrol likes this.
  18. Oct 15, 2018 #18 of 161
    b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I can't imagine watching DirecTV with a remote that doesn't have channel numbers. Getting from channel 4 (local) to 206 (ESPN) would take forever with an up/down button. Same for navigating within the guide. But yeah on the streaming devices (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Fire etc) there aren't channels or a guide so they aren't necessary there.

TheRatPatrol likes this.
  19. Oct 15, 2018 #19 of 161
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You'd have to try streaming for some time to get that out of your system. Took me a couple years what with having to convince my family that streaming is just a better way to watch TV. Now the DVRs are hardly used, once the Super Bowl is over they'll just sit idle until Spring Training starts up.

Rich

20. Oct 15, 2018 #20 of 161
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I can't see how sports would fit into streaming because of the remotes we use on the streaming boxes and TVs. Without a 30 Second Skip it would be awful. I use ATVs for most of the content we view. The remotes are really good, really easy to use but I just cannot see how watching a baseball or football game would work out. I go back and forth constantly during games and none of the remotes I've tried on streaming boxes work as well as the D* remotes. Streaming box remotes just don't do trickplay as well as D* remotes do. I've had many Rokus, ATVs, FTVs and a Nvidia Shield in my home and none of the remotes are capable of doing what a D* remote can do regarding trickplay. The ATV remotes come the closest with the finger pad but that's not nearly as good as a D* remote, I think.

Rich

TheRatPatrol likes this.