Question on broken receivers needed replacement and contracts

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by smileyw, Oct 26, 2019.

1. smileyw

smileyw AllStar

Jan 19, 2007
    I am a VERY long time DTV customer. I have an HR54 (which works fine), an HR20 that has some problems and requires a reboot every 1-3 days, and an HR23 that just completely died. I also have an HR44 in my closet, (but I assume I can't use that as a replacement for one of the older receivers?)
    I absolutely do not want to sign a contract again. I suspect 2 years from now I will be long gone from DTV...
    I'm trying to figure out what options I have. Can I just buy one (or two) of these DVR's that claim to be "owned"? If so, how do I know I will not have a problem later. Or how about one of the Genie clients? If I buy those will I end up in a contract again? Last time these didn't even tell me I was getting into a contract again (which wasn't a problem, but they never even told me!), and I don't want that to happen again.

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Replacing defective equipment with the same type of equipment (Example: HR24 for another HR24) will not trigger a new contract. In your case your HR20 and HR23 will be replaced with HR24s and will not trigger a new contract. Replacing your defective equipment (HR20 and HR23) with clients probably will trigger a new contract. DIRECTV policy is one Genie per account. Seeing how you're currently using a HR54 adding the HR44 will not be allowed.

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    And they will try and push the clients and maybe even the HS17. To get replacements, you should only have to pay $20 S/H for each. And you won't need an installer, so no $99 installation fee.