Question on deactivating HR

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by hahler2, Jun 22, 2010.

1. hahler2

hahler2 AllStar

Sep 19, 2006
    I am canceling my Directv service on Friday. Neither of my boxes are leased, so they won't have to be returned. Once they are deactivated will I still be able to watch recordings off the hard drive or will I lose the ability to do that?

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Disconnect the receivers from the satellite before you deactivate them. That will allow you to continue to watch your recordings. However, there is possibly a timeout fearture that will still kill the box if it doesn't receive a satellite signal after a certain amount of time. Off-hand, I don't remember how long that time is.

If your receivers are connected to the satellite when you disconnect service, the kill signal is sent immediately so that the boxes are deauthorized.

- Merg

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The answer is largely dependent on which model DVRs you're talking about.

Most of the newer models will stop working at some point and they may get progressively more bothersome to use along the way.

4. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Based on the thread title, I would assume an HR2x. Though I supposed it could be an HR10-250.

5. hahler2

hahler2 AllStar

Sep 19, 2006
    Yes I'm sorry. It's 2 HR20-700's.

6. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    IIRC, the HR2x line will start getting funny within 30 hours or so and require some monkeybusiness to get them going. At some point (weeks or months), they will reportedly not work around the error anymore

Here's a post from three weeks ago on the very same subject:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=2483116&postcount=10

7. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Make absolutely sure they are owned, many people make the mistake in thinking they are owned when they are indeed leased....

8. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Oh really? You've seen this on your HR2X's?? Oh wait, you don't have any and have no experience with them because you're a DISH customer...

9. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Where does the 30 hour thing come from? I've never heard of that before.

To the OP, I had an HR20-700 that was disconnected, and I was still able to watch recordings five weeks later. It did keep trying to restart and aquire a signal (I have no idea how often) but I didn't have any trouble watching recordings well beyond 30 hours.

Of course this is based on my own experience and not what I'm trying to recall...I'm just sayin' :grin:

Mike

10. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    When was the last time you disconnected any of the HR2x that are under your control?

11. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    About five months ago...an HR20-700.

When was the last time you disconnected any of the HR2x that are under your control?

Mike

12. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Two months ago here.

I suspect the answer to the part 2 for the other poster is NEVER...but I'm just guessing. :D

13. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Since he can't answer that from the perspective of a subscriber, I doubt our good friend harsh will ever bother to try to answer.

14. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    When was the last time you did? :D

15. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The question isn't about me and who I subscribe to (although you couldn't tell by reading the last few posts) but whether or not anyone else who is offering up information has recent experience that disagrees with what I offered.

16. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    Not so recent experience would would have been better than no experience at all...I'm just sayin' :grin:

hahler2, as a couple of members have done this in the last few months, you should have no problem watching the programs left on you HR20-700 after it's disconnected. You have to make sure you disconnect it from the dish prior to having it deactivated.

Mike

17. BudShark

BudShark New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    So let me get this straight...

You have no experience but offer an opinion.
    Those who do have experience counter your opinion, and you call them into question whether their first-hand experience is recent vs your NON-experience?

Right.... :sure:

18. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    What has your experience been and how does it differ from what I offered?

Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen much in the way of alternative versions of the story.

19. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    The alternate version is this, and this is important for anyone who wants to know how it actually works, no "monkey business" is necessary; there is no 30 hour limit, if the DVR is disconnected prior to deactivation the recordings may be watched for at least several weeks without issue.

The OP wanted to know if he can still watch the recordings. Your information was inaccurate so please do not continue to proffer it as anything else. That would just confuse the facts.

Providing accurate information is what's needed and this side discussion is pointless. If you've missed the posts that contradict your version of things then by all means re-read the thread.

Mike