1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question on HR44 - did I get a bum unit?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by drgonzo_42, Sep 25, 2013.

1. drgonzo_42

drgonzo_42 New Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Owensboro, KY
    Just had a HR44/200 installed yesterday morning and I understand it can take 24 hours for everything to start functioning correctly, but it has been 33 hours since it has been installed and my tv and HR44 has been turned off about three times since and every time I turn the system (TV and HR44) on it runs through its self check like has reset itself and takes several minutes to come on. Is this normal? Keep in mind I did not keep the receiver on for 24 hours, should I have? Also if the HR44 is off it won't record. For instance, I turned system off last night when I went to bed 2 shows were supposed to record, but didn't. My HR24 has never acted like this and I could turn it off and it would still record shows. Am I just being impatient does the HR44 require more time to work all the kinks out? Please advise.

2. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    No, is not normal. I would check that the HR44 is not connected to a switched outlet or one of those "smart" power strips that shuts down everything when the TV is off

3. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Also, you might post what system software the box is on, and did it work seemingly when the installer was there?

4. drgonzo_42

drgonzo_42 New Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Owensboro, KY
    peds48, I think you nailed it. I just checked my Monster power strip and sure enough it was plugged into the green power socket. So I plugged in into another socket (non green power), turned tv off for awhile so that it completely powered off, turned tv back on and the HR44 started right back up. Man I feel like such a dope. Many thanks peds48, totally appreciate your help.

Laxguy, my software (assuming I'm looking in correct place MENU > SETTINGS & HELP > SETTINGS > INFO & TEST) Software: 0x740, yesterday, 10:12a. Is this correct/latest software?

Thanks again guys!

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    740 is current. The date and tine is when you got it.

6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    peds48, I think you nailed it. I just checked my Monster power strip and sure enough it was plugged into the green power socket. So I plugged in into another socket (non green power), turned tv off for awhile so that it completely powered off, turned tv back on and the HR44 started right back up. Man I feel like such a dope. Many thanks peds48, totally appreciate your help.

Laxguy, my software (assuming I'm looking in correct place MENU > SETTINGS & HELP > SETTINGS > INFO & TEST) Software: 0x740, yesterday, 10:12a. Is this correct/latest software?

Thanks again guys!
    you want to make sure your tv isn't plugged into a socket like that either.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

7. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Well what is OFF here?

The receiver always need power. So if you're shutting it off by cutting off its power feed, the receiver needs to reprogram itself every time you restore power.

8. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    you are welcome.

9. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Well, the TS did not know it was connected to a "green" or "smart" power strip.....

10. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Usually the TV is what controls the other sockets. When TV is off, it turns everything on the "green" or "smart" side off

11. drgonzo_42

drgonzo_42 New Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Owensboro, KY
    Everything is working great now thanks to this forum. Again, peds48, many thanks. peds48 is correct, I have the Monster GreenPower HDP 850G PowerCenter, with the HDTV Plugged into the main GreenPower socket with 3 other sockets dependent upon the main (HDTV) this is for components that don't need to be powered all the time, for instance my blu-ray player. When I turn off my TV the blu-ray player is powered off. There are 4 other sockets that are not GreenPower that are not dependent on the TV and will receive constant power; these sockets are for components like Tivo/DVR. I simple wasn't paying attention when I initially plugged in my HR44 and mistakenly plugged it into a GreenPower socket and didn't even think to check when my receiver kept restarting when I powered off the TV. Thanks to peds48's advice, the problem was identified and easily resolved.