1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question on Locals

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by amit5roy5, Mar 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 3, 2004 #1 of 11
    amit5roy5

amit5roy5 Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Mar 3, 2004
    I used to be a Dish Network customer back in the year 2000 and I just reactivated my account. I qualified under "Digital Home Advantage for former customers." The deal is identical with the regular "Digital Home Advantage."

I also decided to subscribe to my locals, the San Francisco locals. ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, UPN and WB are going to be avalable on the 119 orbital location and the rest are going to be on the 148 orbital location. They will install the second dish free of charge because the channels on 148 are "must carry channels."

1) Then, there was the release of the SuperDISH. Will Dish Network move their locals to the 121 location, which requires the SuperDISH?

2) My other question is Credit Card Autopay. Is it free to join? Thanks! :)

2. Mar 3, 2004 #2 of 11
    Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    If the locals you currently have are on 119 then they will probably stay there. If any channels in your local market ends up going to a wing slot (61.5 or 148) then Dish MUST put in that second dish for free, required by law, because of must carey.

Credit Card Autopay is free to join, so is checking account autopay with the Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT).

3. Mar 4, 2004 #3 of 11
    amit5roy5

amit5roy5 Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Mar 3, 2004
    Dish Network had a smart idea. I also want to order an international service. If I do, then they won't install the second dish, which just so happened to be on the same sattlite as the must carry locals. Maybe I should wait until they come out and install the dish and then order the international.

4. Mar 4, 2004 #4 of 11
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Smart move.

JL

5. Mar 4, 2004 #5 of 11
    JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Sounds like another one for the FCC non-compliance file.

6. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy New Member

Mar 31, 2004
    Hi, I'm about to sign up for the Digital Home Advantage. I get different stories about the need to subscribe to local chanels. I will be getting HD and some movie packages but have no use for the locals. Is there a way to avoid having to get the locals (or circumstances that prevent them from offering the locals)? TIA

7. Slordak

Slordak Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    You do not have to subscribe to local channels if you do not want to, as far as I know. Last I checked, Dish was not requiring anyone to order any specific programming, above and beyond requiring certain ATxxx commitments for certain types of free installations. There were rumors that 811 and 921 customers would have to subscribe to the HD package, but those turned out not to be true. You should be able to get whatever you want.

8. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DHA rules are a little different than DHP and buy your own equipment plans. Locals are included even in markets that don't have them. :)

JL

9. Apr 1, 2004 #9 of 11
    snathanb

snathanb AllStar

Feb 26, 2004
    Really? I just signed up with DHA less than a month ago, and the required me to sign up on the HD package for a year. (I probably would have taken it anyway, but still....).

I just pulled out my contract and it specifically states that subscription to the HD Package is required.

10. garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    That's only if you get an HD receiver with equipment package.

11. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Exactly. Purchasing a HD unit at a discount price ties you to the HD pack.
    Early purchasers that got in before the discounts may be OK, but there have been posts about even them being "forced" into a HD Pack.

JL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.