Question on my SD duplicate channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Doylize, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Doylize

Doylize New Member

Jun 2, 2019
    I have HD. But will the SD duplicates still be available until at least December? I use them if I get heavy rain on college football Saturdays. I'm not up to speed on exotic(to me) stuff like meg this or that or whatever, and I know they have said SD was going away? I still have the SD duplicates. Thanx for any help.

2. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Depends on where you live, there are some markets where they are dropping the SD duplicates for local channels only this fall. Las Vegas and four other markets are going away next month, and there may be others later this fall. Directv hasn't published any sort of schedule, all they've been doing is contacting those who are affected - by affected meaning those who actually have SD only receivers active on their account. So there isn't any way you can find out if you will be affected, other than tuning to the channel and seeing a notice they'll put on it a month or two before it goes away.

Odds are your locals won't be affected. The SD duplicates for nationals look to last through not only this football season but also the next. Directv was going to drop all the duplicates by the end of this year, but unforeseen circumstances forced them to push that timetable back into 2021.

When they do remove the duplicates, they'll move some of the HD channels to 101 and they'll benefit from the increased resistance to rain that the SD channels have currently. That won't help your locals (unless you live in NYC or LA) but popular channels like ESPN and FS1 are odds on favorites to be moved to 101 and last a bit longer when it rains.

Doylize likes this.