1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question on SWM/DECA Install

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Ghengis, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Ghengis

Ghengis Cool Member

Jan 2, 2007
    I currently have a SMW LNB connected to a SWM8. I have 3 HR22s and 1 H24 connected so I am using 7 tuners. I am looking to upgrade so that I connect 2 more DVRs and was weighing 2 options.

1) Change the LNB and get a SWM16 and run 2 SWM8s off the SWM16
    2) Add a second Dish to the other side of my house with a SWM LNB to a SWM8 (I assume as long as I have both SWM8s connect to a DECA on the same LAN Router, I will have one cloud for all the receivers, even though they are on separate dishes)

Looking for some opinions on which option makes the most sense.

Dave

2. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Your setup, as described, can not work.

You either have a SWM LNB with 1 line to a 8 way splitter (a splitter is not a swm)
    Or
    You have a legacy LNB with 4 lines going to a SWM module, then to one or more splitters.

Your best option, is to let DirecTv handle all the details.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Your use of "SWM8" should be "8-way splitter".
    Other than that, options 1 or 2 will work.

4. Ghengis

Ghengis Cool Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Sorry, my bad, it is an 8 way splitter (long day on the computer).

I did the install myself, so I cannot have DTV handle anything

I am just thinking that $279 for a SWM16 is pretty hefty rather than putting up a second dish with another 8 way splitter.

Dave

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    It may be, but some may not want to have two dishes either.
    The real difference would be the SWiM-16 has a crossover for the DECA signal, so it wouldn't need to be bridged through your router. May not be that important, but is a difference.

6. ciurca

ciurca Godfather

Apr 14, 2009
    Can't have D* do the work? Sounds like a stacked account?

7. Ghengis

Ghengis Cool Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Should rephrase. I did the entire install myself and would rather do any future work myself rather than have a DTV installer do it.

Dave

8. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You can:
    Run two dishes, 8 SWM channels each, or
    Run one legacy dish with an external SWM16, or
    run one legacy dish with 4 dual port power passing splitters and two SWM8's.

The first and third options will limit whole-home/MRV, you would need to bridge both SWM8 "clouds" together via your LAN to get whole-home between/across the two SWM's (but that can be done).

9. Ghengis

Ghengis Cool Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Thanks everyone for the replies, I think I am going to go with a SWM16.

10. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Check eBay for the SWM16. I was able to get one along with the power inserter and two 8 way splitters for around $80 with shipping.

11. Ghengis

Ghengis Cool Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions. I installed the SWM16 and am having an issue that maybe someone can help with.

I got a SWM16 with PI and two 8Way splitters for $85.

I switched the LNB on the dish from the SL3-swm to the SL3 legacy and connected the 4 cables from the LNB to the SWM16.

I have the power inverter going into the power connector on the SWM16 and I only have 1 8way splitter connected to SWM1 and SWM2 terminated. I have 1 receiver on the 8way splitter and the other 7 connects terminated (figured this was the simplest test).

I changed the dish type in setup from Slimline 3-S (SWM) to Slimline-3, switch type is 01: SWM (but it is greyed out) and Recheck SWM is greyed out.
    At the bottom it has an message "Do not install B-Band Converters"

It did at one time say "SWM single channel found" or something to that affect ,I can't remember exactly.

I do see SWM in the list of Satellites in the signal strength screen, so I assume that the SWM16 is connected and working.

The problem is I get no signal on any satellite. I am wondering if the SL3 LNB is bad. I am at a loss right now

Dave

12. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Hook the SL3 (any of the 4 wires) to the receiver (any receiver except an H25) and set to Slimline 3/Multiswitch. That will tell you if the LNB is working. BTW, the correct dish type is still SL3/SWM if you have the SWM16 hooked up. Note, without a BBC, you wont get ALL the HD satellites, but will be able to tell if the LNB is working.

13. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    "Easy" check: disconnect the SWM16 and connect a receiver directly to the LNB (if it's a DVR you'll need to connect 2 coax cables to test dual tuners.) You'll also need the BBC's unless it's a 23. You'll also need to reconfigure the sat setup, and likely reboot.

Edit: looks like Davenlr beat me to it :lol:

14. Ghengis

Ghengis Cool Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Thanks again. Looks like the LNB was ok, but my mast was not level after working on the dish. I am closer now, I have the SWM working but I am only getting 101. 99 and 103 have no signal, so I have to go up and check the dish alignment again.

Dave