question on the DTV app

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by krel, Oct 19, 2020.

1. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    has anyone used the DTV app on there tablets or phones. i'm wondering if i will be able to watch all of my channels while traveling. i know with spectrum you loose channels if your not on your homes WIFI network. i am wondering if this is how DTV rolls as well. the only thing i can see not being able to pick up is the sunday ticket. and can i watch DVR recordings on the DTV?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    You won't get all of your channels via the App, especially local stations.
    You can download DVR recordings to your phone/tablet using the app, but you can't stream from your DVR outside your home network.

compnurd, harsh and krel like this.
  3. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    Slingbox

With a slingbox you can watch all your channels away from your home.

And local channels , in the app, depend on where your phone/tablet location is . Example if I travel to DC, PHI, NYC. The app does allow me to view local channels for that market .

It may depend on if the local station is O&O. My locals (Norfolk) are not O&O so when I leave my house I cannot view them in the app.

Or it might just be big metro areas . ... ??

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

AZ. likes this.
  4. ericknolls

ericknolls Active Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    To be accurate - you can see some local channels. I'm 25 miles outside my home. I can watch channels 2,4,5 and 7 plus some cable channels live. I can also watch my downloaded playlist from my DVR. Make sure you have some saved and downloaded on your DVR. Try to load up your playlist from home and see what happens when you are out and about. I am going to double check tomorrow at work. I will report my findings. It's hit or miss for some people. Litzdog is partly correct. I am using 4 LTE on VERIZON using my Moto G7.[​IMG]

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

5. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    So be clear when you are "watching your playlist from home" your not watching the actual recordings from your DVR. If there is a On Demand equivalent of what you recorded it is streaming that.. If there is not you will not see that recording

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  6. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Just use a VPN.

7. ericknolls

ericknolls Active Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    I can see live tv and play it too on my smartphone using 4G LTE. I will download my DVR recordings later this evening and report back tomorrow on the job. I will be away from home when I attempt to watch something. It may or may not work.

8. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    I turned off WiFi and tried to use the app via LTE

Majority channels , including premiums are there except:

Locals (may vary by market)
    Nfl network
    Mlb network
    Nhl network
    Ion east (305)
    Mgm
    Crime and investion

Also no RSNs (only long horn and sports net LA)
    My local RSNs (NBC Washington and MASN were not showing)

ericknolls likes this.
  9. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    Sunday ticket has its own app and yes you can watch away from home .

Blackout rules apply so if your traveling outside your DMA it may blackout other games.

Again depending on the location of the device .

10. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    I feel it's safer to say you will not get your DVR recordings on the app

I just tried on LTE and it was hit or miss . Some shows said unable to connect to DVR , some shows its like the on-demand version of the show

11. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Downloading prior is different They killed mobile DVR last year so it works differently now

dtv757 likes this.
  12. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    As mentioned above you cant get your recordings outside of your home.. You can only get the on demand version if it exists

dtv757 likes this.
  13. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Not sure why folks ignore the VPN advice ;).

14. ericknolls

ericknolls Active Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    These are my findings from my DVR. Note: It did say - cannot connect to your DVR after I opened the app using 4GLTE. But, there are 14 items from my recordings from my DVR I can watch on 4GLTE. I am at my job 25 miles from home and away from my DVR. I am going to post some screenshots. So like I said and the original OP said, It is hit or miss not I'm right - your wrong! See ON DVR? Cristina on the Coast. San Francisco 2.0 also played. It is an eposode I recorded on my DVR. See the second pic? It played. But, the app said it couldn't connect to my DVR. That's weird. Also the titles picture/icon did not populate but the title played.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. ericknolls

ericknolls Active Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    Now about those downloads. Make sure you set up the app to add your DVR recordings and downloads using WiFi. If you don't - you won't have access to them. I went on my DVR and clicked on the down arrow. It prepared the selection for download and did it's job. I also saw a blue arrow with a circle in the middle. If you selected it - you could watch the recording. Movie downloads were added to the downloads folder. It had a green check mark. Meaning: It was ready to watch. Note: you can watch the movie on 4GLTE or you can shut it off. <--- For people like me who does not have an unlimited plan. My download of City of God snapshot played with 4GLTE off. The app was started with 4GLTE - then I turned it off when the movie started playing. See below:[​IMG][​IMG]

16. ericknolls

ericknolls Active Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    Wrong pic above. This the correct one.[​IMG]