1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question on wired vs wireless

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by jacksonjohn1961, Nov 14, 2017 at 8:01 PM.

1. jacksonjohn1961

jacksonjohn1961 New Member

Tuesday
    I am new to directv and just got it installed yesterday. I have a Model HR-44-500 receiver. The installer connected the dish to my existing coax cable in the house. then another smaller genie in the bedroom attached to the coax. I have a friend at the office who has the same model receiver but has a wireless bridge wvbro-25. The wireless bridge then talks to genie mini in the bedrooms. His house is the about the same size as mine also. My friend says the TV's get the signal via his home wifi. He has been a long time directv subscriber and this wireless option is part of an upgrade he got say 2 years ago. I don't follow why they would use that wireless option wouldn't a wired be better for signal quality less chance of it being stepped on also. Unless the state of his existing wiring in the home is sub par. I am just trying to understand why his set up would be different then what I have.

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Wired is more reliable than wireless. But wireless allows you to move the mini genie to locations where there is no coax. If you're happy with its current location and don't need to move it, don't worry about it. But if you like to move furniture around or want to move a TV outside to watch a game, then wireless would make that easier.

3. CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    There are also locations in a house that are very difficult to wire and so wireless is a "better" option. I have both and both work about the same Wireless works, for me, as well as wired.

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Yep,wired is always better, but someone times wireless is the only option. And other times people just think they should do wireless for no other reason than it was offered.

And by the way, the wireless minis are not using his home WiFi to work either. The wireless video bridge he has connects directly to and only to to the wireless minis and create their own separate wireless network. While freq could interfere with his own wireless network, the actual signal to and from the minis never touches his home network.

DishCSR likes this.