Question/scenario regarding

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by DKM585975, Jul 8, 2019.

1. DKM585975

DKM585975 New Member

Jul 12, 2017
    I have a few different types of DTV HD DVR’s .. a few are upgraded hard drive units purchased from Weaknees.com... a HR54 is one... I would like to know of some equipment that would allow me to basically ‘archive’ recorded programming from the unit’s hard drive to another digital format and playable on most DVD players... a number of years ago I had a Panasonic DVD recording unit that had both a hard drive and a single disc recording unit built into the overall unit? Are there different options and or similar options to archive recorded programs and replay them in the future and essentially free up hard drive space on the HR54? Please let me know and thank you very much.

2. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    With a lot of work and a lot of technical 'savvy', you 'might' be able to 'clone' a drive from one of your DVR's. That's it. Even then, the stuff you have recorded is married to that DVR. It won't even play in another DirecTV DVR.

The only option, I believe, would be to record programs to another device in real time. Even then, you'd have to defeat the copy protection somehow - likely losing much of the quality of the original video.

3. DKM585975

DKM585975 New Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Thank you very much for the information and help. Can the ‘real time’ recording be completed by just playing the recording from the playlist , letting it play fully as it is recording I assume this is what you mean or it must be only recording during the actual original/live broadcast? Also what recording device/equipment would I need...brand and model ..any special cables? Thank you very much in advance.

4. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    You would need to 'play' it into a connected device that records the output from the DVR. I don't do that, so I don't know what to recommend to you.

You need to figure out what type of outputs you have on your DVR, and then determine what type of inputs you have on your recording device. (There are some devices that will connect to your PC, for example.)

Remember, using HDMI from your DVR to HDMI on your recording device may not work for much of your recordings, as it will not pass programs with encryption from your DVR. You may need to use a non-HDMI out port on your DVR - hence what I stated in my post above - you may lose some quality from your original recording.