1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about discount receiver offers

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by wmb, Jan 30, 2010.

1. wmb

wmb Godfather

Dec 17, 2008
    I looked at my account today and saw that I could get a free HD receiver or a $99 HD DVR. Currently, I have only need for one additional HD reciever... an SD CRT in the guest room has a SD receiver with no immediate plans to upgrade the TV (the wife occasionally uses the room for hobbies/crafts and annual in-law visits).

Basically, my questions are these...

First, of those with the offer, how long does it last? Will it be there until I take advantage of it? If not, I may act on it now. Otherwise, I would wait until I upgrade the TV. The issue here is that I may want to wait a year and get another HDDVR after MRV rolls out (currently, two HD DVRs and a HD recever, all networked) and the HD server at CES is intriguing.

Second, could I take the offer and give the receiver to my parents? They have DirectV as well, and one HD TV with a HD receiver and a second HD TV with a a SD receiver (they got the first HD receiver after I was down at Christmas and told them their nice HD TV had a SD receiver, ugh!). Personnally, I would like to get them the HD receiver as they would use it - kind of a late Christmas present.

So basically, before I take action, is this an offer I have to take advantage of before it goes away? If so, can I transfer it?

Additional commitment is not an issue, my choice is Time Warner and the price difference is insignificant. I would be willing to add commitment to my account even if it is for a HD receiver for mom and dad.

Before I call DTV, Any thoughts/advice?

2. Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    I think those offers change periodically. I had the same thing for a few months last fall and then it went back up to regular price. HD DVRs and receivers work good on SD TVs, and with MRV now in public beta, with the new national release being pushed out, you would soon be able to watch recordings on the other DVR.

I don't think you can get the receiver and then transfer it to another person. You would need to get someone more knowledgeable or that works there to tell you for sure.

3. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Since you already have HD and DVR on your account the additional receiver cost is still $5 regardless of the receiver type. If you plan on getting a HD DVR in the future you might as well get it now when it's only $30 more than a standard ird box.

4. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Might be a week, might be a couple of months. Not longer than that.

No. It will be a leased receiver on your account.

Yes.

No.

5. Bofurley

Bofurley Godfather

Oct 11, 2006
    KS
    WMB, when I received this offer, I put the $99 HD DVR in my CART, and it is still there, so I assume the price is still good.
    This was several months ago.

6. drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    That has been my exprience. In the past year mine has gone back and forth between $0 and $99 a couple of times. Seems like about every 3 months.
    I did the same thing, but when I went back the $0 offer adjusted to $99 at checkout.:( Hopefully next quarter it drops back to $0.:lol: