1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about DISH & All America Direct

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by lsokoloff, Nov 7, 2010.

1. lsokoloff

lsokoloff AllStar

Nov 15, 2006
    I've been getting my long distance network stations for several years via All America Direct - now Sobongo. Today DISH came and installed a new dish for me in order to pick up my locals in HD. The new dish receives signals from satellites 61.6, 72 and 77. I lost my All America Direct signal because they use 110 and 119. So I called All American Direct and they said to call DISH and have them install a wing dish and point it to 110 or 119. So I called DISH and they said there would be no charge for the service call and they would do it. I then get a three way call with DISH, my service tech and me and they tell me that I have to contact All American Direct to have them install the wing dish. Anyone know what the deal is before I get ping ponged around a few more times?

Len

2. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    It seems kind of disjointed.....the dishTV and their relations with Sobongo. Sobongo advertises their stuff/distant channels is in HD, I've inquired several times and get no information.....dishTV does not comment......

3. lsokoloff

lsokoloff AllStar

Nov 15, 2006
    Here's the phone number that I at least got through to talk with someone on - 800-909-9677. I've been getting four San Fran and four NY stations in SD for several years for $14.99. They said I could get HD for $12.99, but I would have to pick either San Fran or NY, so four stations instead of eight. I'm not sure I really need them anymore since I can record two satellite and two over the air programs at once. It was kind of nice though to be able to record something three hours later on a San Fran station when needed. Also nice to have some additional choices in what games were on.

Still have to make some calls again to see who actually is responsible for putting up a wing dish for me if I want to go that way.

Len

4. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    Well if you just want to keep the SD channels, then all you need is a dish aiming at 119. If you want to add HD distants to your existing SD distants, then you'll need 110 also. Or if you just want HD an get rid of the SD then just 110 is needed. If you want all FOUR cities like I have, then you'll need both, which means a dish500.

I don't know how you tie in a dish500 w/ a dish1000.4, certainly a single signal from either 110 or 119 would be easier to join w/ the 1000.4 w/ a DPP44 switch, but both? *shrug*

I don't know what to tell you really. I don't see DISH doing this for FREE now that you've got the 1000.4. Perhaps a lot of begging?? Might get it done faster if you do it yourself. Assuming you had a dish500 previously and the mast is still in place, get a dish off craigslist or fleabay and stick it up there.

And what they told you is wrong. The HD channels they provide are from Chicago and Los Angeles. NY and Sanfran are SD only. No reason in the world you can't keep the SD signals and add 1 of the HD cities. Except for the fact it'll be easier to tie in just 1 signal feed (110 or 119) to your existing sys. You can also get all 4 cities like I have but it gets kinda costly. If I were you, I'd pick 1 service, either SD or HD and go w/ that. Otherwise, your going to need some receivers (getting the AAD channels) connected to a dish500, and other recievers connected to the dish1000.4.

Of course you could have DISH put you back on western arc w/ a dish1000.2 and recieve 110,119,129 w/ a wing dish on 61.5 for HD locals.

5. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    You can have the Eastern Arc (61.5 etc...) and the 119/110, I have it, and I do get all the distants available from Sobongo, SD and HD. It requires two dishes as you would suspect, and an additional switch box that is mounted outside, with powered switch connected to it inside.

The Eastern Arc dish has three locations. I only needed two of them, 61.5 and 72 to get my locals in HD and all my other HD channels. There are no programs on 77 that I would get, either they are locals for other locations, or I believe international programming. So 61.5 and 72 are active. In the third position instead of 77, the 110/119 dish is plugged in. It all works very well. My installer, after understanding why I needed to keep the 110/119 dish, knew exactly what he needed to do, had the extra switches needed, and installed the Eastern Arc dish and connected the 110/119 to it.

Do not listen to anyone telling you Dish will not do this. They will once the installer and the tech (if he calls Dish) understands why. The only hitch would be if you need 77 for some reason. But the installer said there is a solution for that also.

6. ehren

ehren Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2003
    download filmon and you can get all the LA channels for free.

7. JackBauer112

JackBauer112 Mentor

Aug 15, 2010
    What about for the SF Bay Area? TVU Networks did carry CBS, ABC, FOX and CW for free, but the CW left last year, I wonder what service can watch the local Bay area markets for free online?