1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about HR21-600. Please Help!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by josrickim, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. josrickim

josrickim New Member

Nov 25, 2007
    We just purchased (I guess leased:confused: ) the ridiculously priced HR21-600 (from Best Buy). It is the black one, the HD DVR.

We are having it installed next Sat.

I have a few questions:
    1. Does it have as many problems as the HR20?
    2. Are you able to record two shows at once, or record a show while watching one?
    3. What does it mean that the receiver has no ATSC or OTA reciever, will it affect my HD?
    4. With this particular box is an HDMI or Component cable better? I heard it all depends.
    5. Does an HDMI cable come in the box?
    6. How is Directv HD? We have the Choice Xtra package. Is that enough HD channels? Hope it has NFL Network HD.

Thanks for the info!:)

2. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    First of all, there ain't no such creature - it's the HR21-700, not 600.

Second of all...the HR20 has been a very solid unit for some time, according to the polls here from alot of users.

Yes, like all DirecTV DVR's.
    This means it has everything any other HD DVR has, except support for an outside Over The Air (OTA) antenna, which most poeple don't have anyway.
    Both are fine - HDMI is a new technology, so some HDTV's may have an issue depending on which version of HDMI they support (there are now 3 generations of HDMI out there in HD sets).
    Those are subjective questions - that said - after over 15 years with DirecTV, I continue to be very pleased with their services.

They have more HD channels than anyone at this time. They also have exclusive HD, such as several sports HD packages. The Choice Xtra is a solid package. Yes, they have had NFL Network since it came out, including HD broadcasts when they are there.

3. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    1) It's all relative. I have 2 HR20's and an HR21. I haven't had anything but a few minor annoyances with the HR20s and the HR21 has been fine since it's public release. Also, the HR21 is a few software versions behind the HR20, so again, it's all relative. I find both to be fine dvr's.

2) You can record 2 programs at the same time, record 1 show and watch another live, and even record 2 and watch a previously recorded show.

3) No ATSC/OTA means that you can't connect an antenna to receive over-the-air broadcasts of any of you local channels

4) A lot depends on your TV. I am using hdmi on a set that used to have an HR20 connected and I can't see any difference between the HR21's hdmi and the HR20's hdmi. Likewise, the HR20 is now connected via component on the set they HR21 used to be conencted to and I think the HR21's component output was slightly better. Use what looks best to you.

5) hdmi cables have been included, but you may want to get something longer than what is supplied. There are a lot of inexpensive options, like the hdmi cables available at monoprice.com

6) What is enough HD is all a matter of your personal choice and budget. You will receive the HD version of any channel included in your plan as they come available. Here's DirecTV's comparison chart: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageNR.jsp?assetId=P4380114

Oh, you probably got the HR21-700 if you got the dvr

4. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Actually I noticed this too the other day when I looked at the sticker on the box, it said HR21-600. I don't think I was looking at an H21, it was an HR21 HD DVR.

Has anyone else noticed this?

5. California King

California King Legend

Nov 24, 2007
    Arg...when will the enable On demand on the HR21!

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The "-600" designates LG as the manufacturer. They have only built the H20-600 so far.
    "I'd bet" Best-buy's label is wrong, if it actually says -600, more than I'd think LG has made a HR21 with no notice about this from Earl.
    So far for the "21" line is:
    H21-200 and the HR21-700, both are black and don't have OTA tuners.

7. botcher

botcher Cool Member

Feb 15, 2007
    BEST BUY in fact has their shelves and computer systems incorrectly listing the HR21-700 as the HR21-600. The shelf tag is labeled -600, and the receipt prints as such, but the units are in fact HR21-700s. At least this was the case the other day when I bought one.

8. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Someone said that Best Buy uses "unique" model numbers just so they don't have to price match a competitor. Don't know if there is truth to that or not.
    Carl

9. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    Lots of stores do that, though I don't think that's what's happening in this case.

10. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Then it's just plain WRONG labeling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.