1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about OTA antenna & DIRECTV.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Discussion' started by GST, Nov 28, 2018.

1. GST

GST New Member

Nov 28, 2018
    I'm new to the forums and could really use some advice/help. A few years ago I installed an OTA antenna and was able to pick up many channels out of Dallas TX that I'm a big fan of. I'm also a DIRECTV customer so I found an AM21 TV Tuner online and used it to run my antenna into my DIRECTV receiver so those channels would be in my guide and be able to record. However because of limitations on the AM21 I had to enter various zip codes from all over the U.S. to get all of the channels I could receive to show up in my guide. In turn the guide for these channels was never correct and I had to go to other lengths to figure out when something I wanted to record was being shown. Then if I recorded it I had to remember what name it was recorded under. I found this to be quite frustrating. Due to work I had to move away for over a year, but have now moved back home about 70 miles Northeast of Dallas. I'm really looking forward to installing my antenna again, however I don't really want to go through the hassle of zip codes and the incorrect guide. My question is can anyone tell me a better set up that I should use or have any advice to make this less of a hassle? Thank you in advance.

2. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    They recently started to expand the OTA database, so for Dallas you likely won't need to enter additional zip codes anymore.

3. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    There is always Tivo and DISH Network as reliable alternatives to Directv.

4. codespy

codespy The Pack is getting sacked!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    You posted this thread in the 'DirecTV DVR with TiVo Discussion' section. If you have a THR22-100, the DirecTV HD-DVR that has the TiVo interface, along with an AM-2x OTA terrestrial unit, it will scan for all available OTA channels besides the channels in the two zip codes you entered. It will not pick up all of the guide data for the extra stations scanned and entered into the guide that don't match the two different zip codes, but the channels will still show up. Also with the THR22, you would not be able to share a whole home playlist with other DirecTV branded DVR's that do not have the TiVo interface. In addition, you would have an extra charge paid to TiVo on your monthly bill for the THR22, besides the common DVR fee.

This scan option is not available with the current setup on DirecTV branded HD-DVR's using the AM-2x units, but it did long ago with the dual tuner IRD's (it got terminated with a software update). I'd stick with the DirecTV branded IRD's in conjunction with the AM-2x unit instead of the TiVo branded device, if you are running multiple IRD's in your household and like the WHDVR option.

5. mgavs

mgavs Legend

Jun 17, 2007
    Something for you to ponder...
    I dumped my AM21 and replaced it with a much better fantastic tuner and DVR, we love it and it’s the best way to get networks (Free!).

I purchased a SiliconDust Quadro 4 tuner, and the Channels app for our 6 iPads and 4 AppleTVs, and added the Channels DVR to an iMac (wakes automatically to record when needed).
    * 8 times more sub-channels and TV shows than Directv gave us since it uses scanning not a database.
    * Perfect recordings
    * Instant remote response speed for back, forward, scroll through show!!
    * Commercial skipping support!!!
    * Easier to use since we can check, set and watch on the iPads, and more
    * The tuner is located at the router in the closet so no equipment at the TV
    * Play shows on all TVs in the house since they all have appletvs we use for HBO, etc
    * Since we are grandfathered in, we turned off DirecTV locals to save monthly fee
    * The channels app has great support and takes feedback.
    The only major thing missing is cast and crew.

Also replaced directv HBO and Showtime via Appletv, MUCH better and cheaper. Turned off directv locals which saved some bucks.

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    if it would cover all expenses... you politely avoided the part of your endeavor ;)

7. mgavs

mgavs Legend

Jun 17, 2007
    Good point if you don’t have anything to start with. We had the iPads, we use them for many things including cordless phones. We also had the apple TVs to provide tons of stuff to the TVs. And of course we already had macs.

What I did pay for was the SD 4 tuner box which was on sale for $40 off so it was about $110. If you don’t want DVR you pay once for the Channels iPad and appletv app, in that case you also don’t need a computer. But since we all like DVRs, you need a monthly $8 or yearly subscription for guide data, and then the apps are free.

The reason I went this route is that our area had a ton of OTA shows we like but not one channel was in the directv database. And.... this is the start of moving away from directv for us.